General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Default Fuel Problem?

My wifes 2001 DeVille will not idle on its on after starting, it just dies like it is not getting fuel. If you press on the accelarator lightly while trying to start it, it starts and runs fine. Any ideas? Thanks,

Wornslick

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Fuel Problem?

Throttle body or IAC passages carboned up or bad IAC very possible.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the reply slowroll, I made an appointment for Monday to have it fixed. My wifes drives this car and probably has never had it in passing gear. Does this cause the carbon build up if that is the problem?

Wornslick

Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

Carbon will naturally build up on throttle body bore and plate of most MPFI engines. The build up will restrict the air going into engine. When you depress gas pedal you open throttle plate allowing air into engine. One other thing to look at is fuel pressure regulator. They can leak fuel into engine causing same type of concern. It's located under plastic engine cover on fuel rail with engine running take vacuum hose loose and see if fuel leaks out. If it does you'll need new one. Being you say your wife just putts around, you need to take it out an excerised it a little once a month.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Naturally since we made the appointment to get it fixed the auto has not acted up at all. I still think that it will not hurt to have it looked at and cleaned if nessesary. This car has only 69000 miles on it and has given us alot of problems since the warranty ran out. New starter, hole in break line, replaced it and hole in plentium that caused a check engine light. At least $1600.00 in repairs so far and if it needs a new ICA valve,$250.00 more not including labor. I know that is not alot but I always thought that Cadillac was a better car than that. Thanks for letting me vent. [:@]

Wornslick

Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Update on the wifes Cadillac. Took it to the dealer this morning. They hooked it up to the computer which showed nothing wrong and no codes. Tommorow I am going to put in a bottle of fuel cleaner and take her out for a little "exercise" Could someone please recommend a good fuel, carbon remover. Thanks,

Wornslick

Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

BG 44K is the best fuel cleaner I've used. It will also decarbon intake valves. BG products are mostly available at dealers and some parts stores. It runs 16-18.00 a bottle use with 20 gallons of gas. Intake air cleaner designed to clean thottle body its best for it, you be able to get it from BG dealer also.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Thank You Very Much Slowroll.

Wornslick

Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 PM

Well I finally got the DeVille in the garage and had them do the BG Air Induction Cleaning. Hope it helps. After reading about how the antifrezze should be changed I had them do that along with a complete cooling system cleaning. While I was reading the service invoice I noticed where it said, Flush Cooling System- Green Coolant Now I am setting here worrying about why the green coolant was in there. The car was a rental before we bought it. The garage put in Dex-Cool which is what the radiator cap says also. Any ideas? Thank You,

Wornslick

Old 05-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: wornslick

Well I finally got the DeVille in the garage and had them do the BG Air Induction Cleaning. Hope it helps. After reading about how the antifrezze should be changed I had them do that along with a complete cooling system cleaning. While I was reading the service invoice I noticed where it said, Flush Cooling System- Green Coolant Now I am setting here worrying about why the green coolant was in there. The car was a rental before we bought it. The garage put in Dex-Cool which is what the radiator cap says also. Any ideas? Thank You,

Wornslick
What is important is the it now has new coolant. Make sure its on shedule for every two years.