General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exterior door panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Default exterior door panel

hey i drive a 1989 cadillac fleetwood. One night i drove to a party with a buddy and when he opened his passenger side door it got stuck on the grass that i parked next to becuase the grass was a bit tall. He yanked on the dorr to close it and it ripped of a corner of my door panel. I glued the panel on, it stayed on for about 6 months then fell off when i was driving so i no longer have the piece. i need to find out how to yank one off another cadillac and how to install it. Im wanted to repaint the car but im waiting untill i fix the panel first.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: exterior door panel

I think I get the picture of what happend. You say you are getting the Fleetwood painted so why not get the body man to fix it. If you want to do it yourself you will need some sheet metal bigger than the area to repair. I assume you have no welder so you need pop rivets and a pop rivet gun. Patch the panel using the sheet metal and rivets. Next you need some filler to smooth over the edges of the repair and you can also sand or grind down the rivets some . Once you get the filler done right you need glazing compound to finish the repair. After that prime it and paint it. To get a door skin off of another car and keep it good is tough because they are tack welded around the inside edge ofthe door. You would have to release each weld to get it off.