General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine surging at idle only

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Default Engine surging at idle only

Hello all
[&o]
Im a newbi to this site and think its great. Anyway Im looking for some advice re engine surging at idle. I have codes PCM 00340 and 341 which is Cam shaft position Sensor curcuit and the other is sensor performance. I had these replaced about 6 months ago when I broke down on the road. Its a 2001 but they covered it under warranty anyway due to the extreemly low milage of 45,000 Kms. Ever since the service engine light is on and they say the sensors are fine and there must be a short making the light come on. Recently I am getting this surging at idle from 650 to 850 RPM. The engine is occasionly hard to start and exibits old fashioned flooding issues, This only happnes VERY occasionally. Other than that the car runs great.

Any ideas

Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine surging at idle only

It's probably not an "over the net" fix.
The codes you listed could be set by problems with the crank sensors.
Your year and model had several updates on the crank sensors.
The latest ones are black (bottom) and grey(top) in color.
If your crank sensors are the old yellow and tan i would get the new ones on there before going further.

After that it just comes down to being able to test the circuit when it fails.
Could be the PCM, a second bad cam sensor or the wiringand connectors in between.

I had these replaced about 6 months ago
These is plural. your car only has one cam sensor. could you be confusing the 2 crank sensors with the cam sensor?
Typical crank sensor codes are p0385p0386 po335 &p0336

Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 AM

Thanks caddytech

You are of course correct it was in fact the CRANK sensors that I had done 6 months ago. Can I see the crank sensors and determine if there the latest without removing them? If so where are they??

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jheald

Thanks caddytech

You are of course correct it was in fact the CRANK sensors that I had done 6 months ago. Can I see the crank sensors and determine if there the latest without removing them? If so where are they??
Yes, but it's not easy.
If you locate the oil filter then look up and right(towards the driver side)on the engine block.
Directly behind the front motor mount bracket.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks again

I will try to get time to look on the weekend.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 AM

[] Hi Caddy

I checked and the sensors are as you say they should be. I guess im screwed. Any further ideas???I did check to see the connections looked good but lost the wires when they go into the foil covered harness, I couldnt trace from there. Ps I have cleared the codes several times and the check engine light still comes back on but when I check the codes again none show up. I dont know if this points you in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jheald
Ps I have cleared the codes several times and the check engine light still comes back on but when I check the codes again none show up. I dont know if this points you in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.
That isthe biggestproblem with using the DIC for codes.
Many times there are stored codes but the DIC shows none.Or it may not show all of them.
If you are using a quality scan tool to check codes and none are found and the SES light is still on, the PCM would be suspect. I usually verify with another scan tool before condemning the computer.

Back to the 340 and 341 code.
Those are cam sensor codes. I asked about the crank sensors first because they are known to set false cam codes.
The cam sensor is on the rear cylinder head on the passenger side. Between the strut tower and below the valve cover. It's VERY tight in there. I have a hard time unplugging it and it is even more difficult to get it plugged back in.

I would suspect a faulty sensor, but i have seen poor connections , rubbed through wires and bad computers set the same code. I can walk you through the diag, but it gets fairly in depth and you need a quality scan tool and a good DVOM. Not to mention that you have to catch it when it's happening.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:08 AM

Thanks Caddy

I will check for bad connections on the cam sensor.