General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine coolant on my floor mats!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Default Engine coolant on my floor mats!

Was driving this morning on the freeway headed to work when all of a sudden i hear a somewhat for a tear, or a burst, a hot fluid started coming down from the bottom, inside my car (by the pedals and below the glove compartment) Mats got all messed up but that's the least of my worries.

The "Coolant Fluid Hot" and "Engine Idle" signs came on, and smoke started coming out of the AC vents.... a little bit at first.. but then it came out strong forcing me to pull down all my windows.

It started a mild but firm rattling noise and so i just turned back and went home

Any suggestions? Comments? Questions? Anything would be helpful. Thank You.

1995 Cadillac Deville
136k miles
V8 4.9

Attached Thumbnails Engine coolant on my floor mats!-newcad.jpg  

Last edited by NLSuelo; 03-16-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Certified Members

sounds to me you had your heater core blow out. Do not drive you car until this is fixed cuz you will possibly loose coolant and overheat. If you dont have the money for the heater core at the moment and need your car you can temporarily bypass it by connecting the two coolant lines running into the firewall together. This will also make your heater not blow out hot air.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
sounds to me you had your heater core blow out. Do not drive you car until this is fixed cuz you will possibly loose coolant and overheat. If you dont have the money for the heater core at the moment and need your car you can temporarily bypass it by connecting the two coolant lines running into the firewall together. This will also make your heater not blow out hot air.
wow. thanks. I had never even heard of a Heater Core before. I will look into it. I'm not planning on driving my car until this is fixed anyways...

Do you happen to have a rough estimate on how much this will all cost me? Thanks again.

-Jorge.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

The heater core itself is about $50-$60 not sure on what the labor will be you may have to call around since it varies on cost of money per hour.

If you are looking to doing this yourself get a chiltons or haynes manual it gives you a good idea on how to do it. It takes a couple of hours. It is located behind the glove box which has to be removed. Access is from there and from below the dash, take care not to do any damage to the temp control linkage behind the glove box there is a rod that is held on by small plastic arms that can easily break. It is a little difficult to orient the core to come out around the frame of the dash but it does come out. Take care not to damage the new cores cooling fins as you install the new core. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
The heater core itself is about $50-$60 not sure on what the labor will be you may have to call around since it varies on cost of money per hour.

If you are looking to doing this yourself get a chiltons or haynes manual it gives you a good idea on how to do it. It takes a couple of hours. It is located behind the glove box which has to be removed. Access is from there and from below the dash, take care not to do any damage to the temp control linkage behind the glove box there is a rod that is held on by small plastic arms that can easily break. It is a little difficult to orient the core to come out around the frame of the dash but it does come out. Take care not to damage the new cores cooling fins as you install the new core. Good luck.
Thanks again,

Yeah ill more than likely take it somewhere to get it repaired. It sucks that this happened though. I loved driving that car

Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Certified Members

yes heater core, and lets hope for our fine friend that is all that blew.... keep us posted, and good advise 92....
rickyd

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 AM

no worries my man, shouldn't be anything more then a heater core, just DO NOT drive it unless you bypass it. Might cost a little in repairs but the part itself is cheap.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 PM

yep well i went ahead and connected both hoses to bypass it... temporarily of course.... thanks to all the replies.. much appreciated... now to clean and wash those mats ugghhh.. haha.....