General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eldorado Power Door Locks Disabled

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Default Eldorado Power Door Locks Disabled

Hello, I am new to this forum and would appreciate any advice on an odd electrical problem that I am having with my '86 Eldorado. For no apparent reason, the power lock functionality no longer works: the power lock switches on both doors do not work, locking or unlocking the car with the key fob does not work, and the auto locking feature when you start the car won't work, either. You can lock or unlock both doors manually using the key and the manual switch on both doors. I have never had any problem whatsoever with the locks, and all of these issues started at the same moment, a few weeks ago. When I hit the power door lock switch or fob, I can hear a faint “clicking” in the driver’s door, as if the lock/unlock signal is being sent but just not going anywhere.

I also noticed that the clock and trip odometer had been reset, as if the battery had gotten disconnected, but it had not.I have since tried disconnecting the battery in hopes of something being reset, to no avail. I am hoping that there is something simple that I am missing here. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Matthew

Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Eldorado Power Door Locks Disabled

Have you get checked for blown fuses?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Check owners manual for fuse locations. See if there is anything else in that group that is not working.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Hi, I should have specified that, but yes, I checked all the fuses in the glove box. The fuses in the engine bay appeared to all be engine/mechanically related. Are there any other fuse locations I should check? If it's not a fuse, could it be a relay or ? I am going to re-check all of the fuses, since I am still hoping this is something simple! Thanks for your help.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

Body fuse is the one to check. Does clock reset every time you start car?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 PM

OK, I traced the issue to a single 20A in-line fuse that is located under the dash near the parking brake. It doesn't look stock to me, but not sure why anyone would add one there....unless many items are on that circuit and someone wanted to isolate the power door locks from the other items for situations such as this? Also not sure what caused it to pop in the first place, but seems to be OK for now. I'll keep an eye on the clock. Thanks for your assistance.