General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Do all Northstars Overheat??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Default Do all Northstars Overheat??

This is insane. Is there a point(year) where engines were built with head gasket issues addressed? I have to replace my 93 sts because it was wrecked (I loved that car). I bought the car used with 120k and drove it for 5+ years, never had any of the problems I am hearing so much about but the car was very well kept. I want to get a deville 2000-2004. Do these cars have the same head gasket problems? Should I just expect to buy a car with a bad engine and do a reseal on the heads? Believe it or not I am a journeyman mechanic but with mostly asian experience. I am researching the cyl head job now. It looks like a lot of work but I am will to do it if necessary. What are the odds of the job lasting? I am aware of the timesert update(is it still relavent). Sorry if I am rambling on too much but want start figuring this all out. My Main question is >Should I expect for a 2000-2004 deville to have head problems? I would not pay more than a couple thousand for a car in that case. Cheers!! hondadude

Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Do all Northstars Overheat??

No, but aluminum engines that severly overheat, tend to blow head gaskets. There were improvement made for the Y2K and again in 2004. I have had no luck with Toyotas or Hondas, but everyone says they are the best. I can US built heaps with 150K miles or more and drive them till I'm tired of them, and turn around and sell them still running. I don't abuse them either (most of the time)

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Do all Northstars Overheat??

ORIGINAL: hondadude

Do all Northstars Overheat??

the answer is a huge .. .. NO !

as slowroll states, every aluminum engine out there is susceptible to gasket failures.
the why such happens is well covered in the our FAQ ..

have you taken the time to look in our FAQ section?
most of your comments can be address with the info there.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM

have a 2004 deville, this engine does not have head gasket problems, but tablets and sealers can clog radiator also THE AIR BLEED FITTING AND TUBE AND HOSE, and even after a flush they can re-clog because of build up in engine, BE SURE AIR BLEED SYSTEM IS CLEAR MOST IMPORTANT.
good luck

Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM

No offense Stealth but your FAQ section is out of date and needs revising. I posted one such comment in that area with no responses. So please, before you go chastizing the new guys for not RTFM, verify it is still accurate.

Also the FAQ you are referring to does NOT answer his question. It simply tells a reader why an engine may overheat. Nothing in particular about the Northstar overheating, why, or how to repair (though that info can be found in other posts).

His questions were: At what years did Northstars become more relaible than the early ones. Do the head gasket replacements permanently solve the problem or will it break again in a relative short amount of time. Should he, by default, assume a used engine will already be blown.

Slowroll answered the first one, you dodged the second one (and I know why, it isn't a question one can reliably answer, that was a bad question), and we all know what happens when someone assumes.

Hondadude, if this car is in as awesome a shape as you allude to, then what I would do is find the bluebook value and offer 2 or 3k less. Normal negotiating tactics can start from there. It is my opinion that engines, even difficult to remove ones, are cheaper to rebuild/replace than it is to get a great car that's been banged up, has all the clear cloat peeling off, the headliner falling down, none of the interior gadgets working properly, seats all ripped up, etc and try to return it to a decent version of factory condition. Paint and upholstry just seem to be so expensive to fix. To summarize, I believe that a mint car with a dead engine is a cheaper repair and better value than a beat up car with a brand new engine.

Last edited by Zynder; 06-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.