General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Default cruise control

I have searched for a previous post regarding this problem without success, so I am asking if anyone might know why this is happening....
I just yesterday purchased a beautiful 1990 Seville with the 4.5 engine. Everything is great except that when I turn on the cruise control on the turn signal stem, the dashboard message says "cruise control engaged" but when I try to set a speed, nothing happens. It won't engage to hold any speed. All the fuses seem fine. Could this be a vacuum problem/leak? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Default RE: cruise control

There is a vacuum-operated diaphragm that should have a cablecoming out ofit going to the throttle. Find the vacuum hose going to that unit and make sure it's pulling plenty of vacuum when idling. If not, there's a leak somewhere in the hose or it's disconnected. If you have plenty of vacuum, the diaphragm itself may have failed and needs replaced.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Certified Members

If it says cruise engaged, that means you've set it, not turned it on. There is a set button and an off/on switch. So assuming the sytem switch is on and you depress the engage switch and nothing happens, I would look at the attachment of the cruise servo cable to the throttle body. Too much slack, disconnected, or hose off the servo would keep it from setting.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM

To both who were kind enough to reply, thank you very much. Your suggestions make a lot of sense and I will be checking into them at my earliest opportunity. I lack a garage, much less a heated space, so I'm hoping to get to this when the weather will be less uncomfortable than the sub-zero wind chills we currently have here in SE Wisconsin. I'll post when I have results either way. (As far as the off-on switch vs. the "set" button, that part I knew about, but even with the cruise system "on", the "set" button has no effect.) Thanks so much again for your willingness to help and sharing your expertise.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 AM

I've got the same problem with my 2001 Eldorado......any solutions? I do not have a garage either.

Is it worth brining to a Caddilac dealer to check out?