Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Cadillac Allante - cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)
Default Cadillac Allante - cruise control

I had the ABS system finally changed out by driving to Hilliard Ohio and using a gentleman that Tom Rohner recommended. Brakes are fantastic but as I fly down the highway, my cruise control was not operational but was the entire trip down to Hilliard. When called, the mechanic mentioned that the only difficulty he had was in adjusting the brake switch to ensure the brake lights were operational. Will be glad to look at next time I get down to my daughters in central Ohio but I'm wondering if the group could guide me to something that might be as simple as something not hooked back up under the dash? doesn't look like any associated with the cruise is near where he would have been working under the hood.

thanks for any suggestions!

============

Moderator Edit:
Title

Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Default RE: cruise control

Bill, did you ever get any further with this? I wish I could help some, but unfortunately, my 89's cruise control is not working either, although it did a few times when I first got the car. When it started acting up, it SEEMED to work if I hooked a toe under the brake pedal and applied upward pressure, but now that little trick doesn't work either. (If it ever did...I might just have fooled myself)

I do suspect that it has something to do with the adjustment of the switch that shuts off the cruise control when using the brakes, but I haven't figured out the procedures in the shop manual yet to try fooling with it myself.

BTW, I wanted to thank you for the mockups you provided for window stickers. You sent me one and I am very satisfied with it. Thanks for your efforts to help other allante owners and now for your recent efforts with the reasonably priced code books on another thread. I already bought mine from a guy on ebay for $8.00 I can't understand why anyone would pay $82.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)
Default RE: cruise control

Your comments seem to be right on as tothe fix for my cruise control. The Cruise control shut offswitch wasdisturbed during the changing of my ABSsystem. It sits directly above the brake switch. Your little trick of the backward pressure on the brake pedal probably makes sense as the factory service manual advises to fully press the pedal backward to make the initial settings and adjustment. A simple fix with the most difficult part just getting down under the dash. The panel has two wing nuts and two separate screws holding it on. So, take your electric screwdriver and a xerox copy of the correct page of the service manual with you.Getting there is the toughest part!