General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cost of maintanence ? Cadillac vs. Audi vs. Porsche vs. Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Cost of maintanence ? Cadillac vs. Audi vs. Porsche vs. Ferrari

i read this on other sites.

Those here that think our cars are expensive to maintain, need to read and look again. These two examples are by far, not the highest I have seen but I figured that the Audi shouldnt be about the same to maintain than a Cadillac. If you want to be shocked out of your seat, search for Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, etc..

I used to have an Audi back in the 90's...

------------------

quote:

Audi is not Toyota or Honda. That's apples and oranges.
I have owned VW's and Audis all my life, over 10 different vehicles. VW's are about the same cost to maintain as the rice-grinders. Audi on the other hand is a performance vehicle. If you cannot handle a $1,700 bill to replace rear pads and rotors 'cause you think you are Jackie Stewart, then you are in water too deep for you.
I own a 2001 A6-4.2, had it since 2002. I have paid over $30,000 in maintenance over the past 5 years, some preventative, some because of failures (o2 sensor, exhaust system, etc) I do not blink an eye because that is what it costs to have the privilege to drive such a machine. If you cannot handle that, do not bother.
Do Porche owners complain when an oil change cost $300? I do not think so.

quote:

Frankly, $30,000 in auto repairs for a 2001 A6-4.2 is idiotic--I'd rather put that in my mutual fund accounts. Craziness!!

Last edited by stomper; 09-27-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Default that's expensive

I'm glad I didn't get an Audi... grandma always said, "you have to pay to play.." Now I have an idea of what that means. I can tell the you hourly rate for a cadillac mechanic at the dealer in the Atlanta area will cost $110.00 an hour. FYI.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

yea just to replace a clutch on a Lambo gallardo is crazy expensive. $6,000 for the clutch and that doesnt include labor, considering they have to pull the engine and tranny out of the car just to do the work.

Owning a cadillac is not that bad for repairs since the main issue is mostly the engine. Overall if you compare a bmw or other cars in the same class as cadillac you will see its still cheaper to own a cadillac. And you get about the same quality give or take.

I hear horror stories of owning BMWs and Mercedes because of the expensive repairs. The only complaint about cadillac ive heard is mostly engine repairs.

The only other car i owned that i thought was expensive repair before owning a cadillac was a Subaru XT6. wich i replaced a Harmonic balancer for $120 (not too bad) then later the alternator was $220. i said forget it since the car was 12yrs old and subaru didnt have interchangeable parts and thats what drove the parts prices so high. the car its self had as much technology as a cadillac. so i figured i might as well drive one.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

Oh Yeah ?

check on the cost of a tune up for a Porsche Carrera,
or replacing the disk rotors for a Jaguar,
or a distributor cap for a Lambo Diablo,
etc ...

Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

you could alway do it yourself but end up like this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azjox...eature=related