General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Default Coolant tank?

Hi, everyone! I have a 1997 Deville and this morning I noticed a coolant leak. After checking, it seems to be at the bottom of the coolant holding tank. Man, it sure doesn't look like there's much room to remove it for inspection! Can anyone tell me what I may be in for? How hard is it to remove the tank?

Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Coolant tank?

I found out that the problem was actually that the hose at the bottom of the tank had come off. And, it was a little tricky getting the tank out. Of course, it's a special pre-formed hose with a rubber ledge about 3/8" to 1/2" in, and a brass sleeve insertin the tank end of the hose behind that. The hose clamps arefastened to the hose, and are backfrom the end ofthe hose about 1/4 ", so with the ledge inside the hose, the clamp only grips about 1/8" of the nipple!?!And, the nipple on the bottom of the tank is only about 1/2" long. To be sure that I do not have to deal with it again, I ordered a new one. It costs about $18 and will be in tomorrow morning.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

$18 for a little rubber hose?
buying hoses is like girl's clothes. the smaller the item gets, the more $$$ you have to shell out.

And it doesnt matter. GM / Jane / Ford / etc.

thanks for posting the solution. sorry we didnt get to you fast enough.

ORIGINAL: Dad0850

I found out that the problem was actually that the hose at the bottom of the tank had come off. And, it was a little tricky getting the tank out. Of course, it's a special pre-formed hose with a rubber ledge about 3/8" to 1/2" in, and a brass sleeve insertin the tank end of the hose behind that. The hose clamps arefastened to the hose, and are backfrom the end ofthe hose about 1/4 ", so with the ledge inside the hose, the clamp only grips about 1/8" of the nipple!?!And, the nipple on the bottom of the tank is only about 1/2" long. To be sure that I do not have to deal with it again, I ordered a new one. It costs about $18 and will be in tomorrow morning.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 PM

I appreciate the response, Stealth! Actually, I am a little embarrased. If I had looked at it closer, the nipple was broken off of the tank about 1/2" out. The rest of it was in the hose. So, now I can either search the junk yards, pay the Caddy dealer $107 for a new tank or try to epoxy the pieces together with the brass sleeve between them. I think I'll try the epoxy and save the $107. It's worth a shot!!! I ve never seen one break back in the hose like this one has. Perplexing!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default Plastic Welding is the process of welding plastic parts together.

hey, it happens to the best!
see .. we dont even flame people here!

but

if you havent done it, read this.

many shops have the ktis and / or equipment and it is a lot cheaper than a new than
and holds better than epoxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_welding

FlCaddy may also have other ideas ..

Plastic Welding is the process of welding plastic parts together.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Plastic Welding is the process of welding plastic parts together.

I used an epoxy called "plastic welder" and so far, it is working well. Of course the same day I epoxyed the tank, my wife brought home an ad for a plastic welder about 6 miles away. Thanks, Stealth!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Well, the the repair did not hold. Evidently epoxy is NOT the answer, even if it is called "plastic welder." It gave up on Friday, only lasted about 2 weeks. So, I guess it's a either new tank or a visit to areal "plastic welder." I've seenplastic weldingdone on plastic pipe, with way more pressure than on an engine's cooling system and it worked fine. This may take some thought.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: Dad0850

Well, the the repair did not hold. Evidently epoxy is NOT the answer, even if it is called "plastic welder." It gave up on Friday, only lasted about 2 weeks. So, I guess it's a either new tank or a visit to areal "plastic welder." I've seenplastic weldingdone on plastic pipe, with way more pressure than on an engine's cooling system and it worked fine. This may take some thought.
the plastic welder should be able to tell you if it will hold.
i would go with that assesment,
as Steatlh adviced, the epoxy had little or no chance ..