General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant System and Pills

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Default Coolant System and Pills

Dear Cadillac Enthusiasts,
I have a 98 Seville STS with about 82k miles. I have just had the radiator replaced, still leaked coolant. I have had the water pump just replaced, still leaking a bit of coolant. I can tell my mechanic is frustrated. I went to O'Reillys for more Dex Cool, and the fellow there said, did you put the pill in the system?..I called my mechanic..He wasn't there, but his assistant seemed to be against the pill and that it would cause more leakage. OReilly said Cadillacs have to have the pill. I purchased a package of 6 of them. The package indicates I should put all six in there. Should I put a pill or several in there? I need to add some coolant anyway. I'd like to not have to take the car back in on a coolant issue. I'm getting a little frustrated with this. Your thoughts?
Thanks Alan

Old 02-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Default RE: Coolant System and Pills

I think you're supposed to put 2 pills in there after you put in new coolant. My mechanic told me that the pills however, might interfere with the cooling proccess since they act kind of like insulation not only for leaks but for temperature too. When I bought my Lac used, it already had the pills in the coolant tank, so I'm not too sure how it would be without them.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

With a Northstar engine, the sealant pellets are added to the lower radiator hose, not holding tank. The pellets are for minor internal engine coolant seepage. Have the system pressure tested engine hot, then engine cool overnight. As you fix big leaks (radiator, waterpump) system pressure is increased, so small leaks show up.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: carnut

With a Northstar engine, the sealant pellets are added to the lower radiator hose, not holding tank. The pellets are for minor internal engine coolant seepage. Have the system pressure tested engine hot, then engine cool overnight. As you fix big leaks (radiator, waterpump) system pressure is increased, so small leaks show up.
Now here is a guy I have not seen in over a year. Bill welcome to the site, and as always giving good advice. Off subject, but I think you will enjoy meeting the regulars here as Zal and I have, and there are several of the AN people here as well.

G.A.R.Y.