General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose radio theftlocked....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 PM
Question Bose radio theftlocked....

I have my 99 Eldorado that is a ongoing project. I bought it with a aftermarket crap stereo in it and am converting it back to the Bose system with the Bose speakers. Anyways, I bought a Bose CD/Tape Gm radio part # 09380768 off ebay and it is "theftlocked". How can I get this radio to work again?? I saw "youtube" videos about pulling out a chip but the inside of my radio looks nothing like the radios they were doing it to. I heard that dealers charge like $150 to unlock it and I think that it outrageous. Any help is appreciated on this. PS. Please dont assume that I stole this radio either or bought it from a thug. It was bought from a salvage yard and I have a receipt.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

Dealer shouldn't charge 150, some won't charge at all. There is a tsb related to how to get 6 digit code from radio. From there dealer calls for factory back up code. The retrieval info originally was in FSM, but was removed to prevent radio theft. lol. sometimes service writers or parts people will help you for free when their not busy. it should only take 10-20 min. in the parking lot. If for some reason it won't unlock and a tech has to look at it that's another story.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM

I called 2 local GM dealers. One wanted $115 to unlock it. The other told me to bring it in and see what they could do. The service girl (hot one too) hooked up the GM scan tool and messed around with it and the radio would not unlock. Didnt charge me a dime either. So I sent the radio back to where I bought it. Now Im looking for a aftermarket cd/radio but want one that I can still use my factory Bose amp powered speakers. That may be a tuff thing to find Im thinking....SMH