General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Black Smoke, Stuttering, Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 AM
Default Black Smoke, Stuttering, Gas Smell

Hi guys, im new here to the community and Im loving it.

Currently I've been having a couple of problems, my car seems to be stuttering when i accelerate on the gasoline and then black smoke comes out of the exhaust and the car doesn't feel as if it has power. I get this really bad gas smell coming from the exhaust and then i hear a hissing noise coming from the top of the engine compartment.

What can this be? The only code I get is P029 which is for my "B" Shift Solenoid problem, can this be a culprit?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE, look at this picture, can you guys tell me if there is anything wrong with it? And if so, can you also check that one round thing on the lower right hand corner, does anything plugin into that?

[IMG]local://upfiles/3391/FAB3D2919ACF492F9B16290B8D0A36A9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Black Smoke, Stuttering, Gas Smell

I not a northstar mechanic but its running rich, hench the black smoke. check fuel pressure regulator , map sensor, temp sending unit, with the hiss sound you may have a va***m hose off which will cause the same problem. Find the source of the hiss and i bet you find your problem. lower right looks like a where the hiss is coming from. it maybe be part of your EGR some hose should plug into it.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Default RE: Black Smoke, Stuttering, Gas Smell

inspect all the seals and make sure they are fitted properly and there are no cracks or splits. check for some leaks. there might be a problem with your fuel injector, that's why there's a black smoke. it could also that the catalytic coverter is bad. it would be best to check all your gm cadillac parts to be sure what is really the problem. just give us an update what other things did you find out. hope you'll figure out it soon. good luck