General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alignment - drill out the strut towers 95 DeVille

Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Default Alignment - drill out the strut towers 95 DeVille

Today I took the 95 DeVille for a 4 wheel alignment and they said to adjust the caster on the front, they must drill the rivets out of the strut tower. They said it would take several hours labor. I passed.

So I ended up with a $75 toe alignment because the camber was fine.

ALthough this is the same shop that 6 years ago told me they adjusted the caster on my 90 XJ40 because it was way out. That is very odd because the 90 XJ40 doesn't have any place to adjust the caster. And if it does need adjustment it is because of an accident or other catastrophe. Then they must bend metal to adjust it and they did not bend metal.

What's up with the caster alignment and drilling on a 95 DeVille?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Certified Members

On many cars with strut type suspension, modifications to the strut or mounting is is required for proper alignment. Typically for caster; strut tower holes are enlongated to allow strut to move for/aft depending on whats required. On GM cars many times 2 of the 3 holes are already slotted. The third hole needs altered. Why? For assembly at the factory, strut would be positioned in the correct position for alignment. Strut to knuckle mounting will need modified for camber adjustment with OEM struts. Strut flange will be round one side and oval on inside, material would need to be removed to allow knuckle to tilt. These mods are one time type repairs. Caster can cause pulling, but not tire wear, Camber and toe will wear tires. Toe wears tires the fastest.