General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91' Sedan DeVille---rear wheel rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Default 91' Sedan DeVille---rear wheel rattle...

My Caddy has a little play(about 1/4 inch or so) in the rear passenger wheel. It's side-to-side play, no up & down play when I jacked it up and used my hands to push and pull on the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. The other wheels don't have it. How can I fix this and can it pass inspection with it? Thank You

DavyDeVille91

Last edited by DavyDeville91; 08-06-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Default Rear Wheel Bearings...

My '91 DeVille has what I guess to be a bad bearing on the rear passenger wheel. When I drive, it makes a dull roaring noise that pulsates and sometimes just a metallic clicking or rattling noises. I'm going to fix it but it's going to be a few days til I have the cash, and the car needs an inspection sticker. Is it safe to drive it like that(I'm sure it's not, but I've heard stories like the tire falling off...can it really?)Or maybe the wheel would seize and lock up? Anyone have this problem? How did u deal with it? Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DavyDeville91
My Caddy has a little play(about 1/4 inch or so) in the rear passenger wheel. It's side-to-side play, no up & down play when I jacked it up and used my hands to push and pull on the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock positions. The other wheels don't have it. How can I fix this and can it pass inspection with it? Thank You

DavyDeVille91

Sounds like tie rod end is worn out, would not pass S.I. anywhere if not corrected.
Should be fairly inexpensive and if not a "rust belt" car fairly easy to correct, but requires toe reset or 4 wheel align.
Using a tape measure reset the length from grease fitting to end of rod where it mounts on control arm, replace tie rod end, then adjust to the same length as before tie rod end was removed/replaced will get rear toe in close

` response submitted by slowroll