General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 brougham wont stay charged

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Default 89 brougham wont stay charged

i have a 89 brougham with a original 5.0 307. i replaced the battery and alternator and the car runs fine forabout two days. i drove all day sunday, maybe about 110 miles and no problem just when the sun was about to go down my auto lights came on and the radio turned off. Horn didnt work, blinkers did not flash, and soon as i hit the brakes the digital read out of the ac would be blank. this is the third time i been through this,2 batteries and 2 alternator. PLEASE HELP!!!!
WHAT ELSE COULD THERE BE???????????????????

Old 06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 89 brougham wont stay charged

Hey there89: When it comes to electrical gremlins you have to start simple and work up from there. Go over all of you grounds to start with. ny place that you can find a ground wire from under the hood to under the dash. Take the connection apart and clean it well. You can use a little dielectric grease if you choose, it is preferable.Then I usually pull the fuses one by one and clean the contact points as well. then go ever all your plug in connections and check for corrosion and dirt. As you are going over all of this be checking for chaffed wires as well. You can also put a multi meter on your battery when you are done that and see if there is any drain down when the car is sitting idle, the voltage will drop slightly and you will be able to tell if yousolved the problem. If not pull one fuse at a time until the voltage drop stops then you know which circuit the problem exists on. These thing can drive you crazy at times but with a little persistance it will pay off. Good luck.