General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 cts , Automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Default 2004 cts , Automatic transmission problem

2004 CTS Automatic transmission 64,000 klm, cold start no forward gears for 30 seconds, reverse works good Transmission fluid burn The dealer saids no Codes show up on computer Transmission Needs to be taken apart to find problem . Has anyone had the same problem no warranty After 60,000 klm? Jim

Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Default trans slipping in mornings

i have the same problem real simular to yours i am trying to find the awnser also one guy told me it was fluid leaking out of converter after it sits over night that make sense to me but i want to hear from more people THANKS K9will

Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM

well there could be a few problems

1) when car starts and runs oil pressure reach a certain limit if not there no go (pressure solenoid valve)

2)low tranny fluid can cause this

3) foreign debris in fluid can cause valves not to move

4) try getting a tranny flush where they hook it up to a machine and flush it
then drop the pan and replace the filter
i suggest this way because it gets all the crap out of the torque converter and cleans the valve body then dropping the filter just helps get whatever is left out

5) could have a bleed down internal (but sometimes tranny flushes and a conditioner fixes it)

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 PM

finally gmtechs i like your awnsers i know it is not #2 and the trans fluid was changed with dextron 3 but not converter flush, you mentioned (conditioner) what part # or brand or style is it, if was # 1 it should do every time (is that correct) it sounds like #4 but it seems worse on colder mornings and alot of mornings it work fine there is know rym or reason, could low gear cluthes be worn some adding to the problem, the trans works flawless otherwise

Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM

transmission fluid on colder mornings is like oil a little thicker, but also the pressure solenoid is what causes the clutches to be applied so if pressure is not there u get slippage or if the clutches r burnt out u get the same best thing to do is put a pressure gauge on the tranny and put it in drive.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 PM

i have a transmission guy from my old shop days that owes me tons of favors, i will ask him about the pressure solenoid, find out if has the gauge to hook to it and how to do it, hopfully he will know what pressure should be showing on gauge to be acceptably, one thing though after i drive it never fails to pull when put it in gear. It has to sit over nite or longer to somtimes not pull when you put it in gear. IT does not do it all the time or should i say not that often

Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Well first of all do you park on a hill, car face down the hill

2nd temperature and time have a lot to do with fluids and leak down.

what is happens is you have a check valves and solenoids in the tranny fluid will run past them if they do not seat in the correct position so when car starts up fluid flush pass these place until pressure builds up and everything is reseated

Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 PM

the cts is parked in a level parking spot so that would not be part of the problem, does pressure come from the tourqe converter or is it the solinoid appling the pressure and could it be electrical but what it should do, is do it every time the same tempature is present or the same amount of time has elasped between uses, but that is what is so confussing

Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM

in the front of the tranny there is a pump that pump is turned by the torque converter
which is turn by the motor

1)so if the pump is leaking there is a problem (slipping not enough fluid going through etc...)

2)if the pump is worn out ( it will slip all the time and basic stop moving)

u need to know what the pressure in the tranny is before u start looking otherwise u will be chasing yourself all over the place