General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 caddy deville overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Default 1999 caddy deville overheating

Hopefully someone here may have some ideas about my issue. I'm sure there are other posts around here but the ones I've seen haven't helped too much.

So I have a 1999 Caddy Deville (plain) Northstar that's been acting up lately. About 45 days ago I was on the freeway driving home when all of a sudden the message "Coolant hot" pops up followed by "Idle Engine" then immediately "Pull over and shut off engine" and once I do all of that another message "Change oil" comes on. So I wait on the freeway for about 2 hours and then limp off the freeway. A friend comes and tows my car to a shop his buddy owns. The guy tells me that the water pump, pulley, tensioner, and belt need to be replaced. I can't remember he exact convo but supposedly one thing seized up and caused a chain reaction. So $500 later i'm on my way.

Yesterday was a little low on gas so I let my girlfriend drive it to work and I took her car to drive to the other side of the Vegas Valley for my school. She txt's me at night and says the Caddy popped up the exact same messages in the same order and that she pulled the car over and parked it. Luckily it was only 2 blocks from the house. So I get home have her bring me to the Caddy and I drove it home. In that 2 blocks the temp got up to 250 like nothing.

I have absolutely no mechanical skills so i'm not sure why this would happen again so soon after just replacing the items that supposedly caused this issue in the first place. I got home and checked the belt that had ripped apart the first time this happened, and it's fine and running smoothly when the engine is running. So i'm not sure what it could be. I can't bring the car back to the shop where it was fixed because that's across the Valley about 30 minute drive and again my cars temp is at 250 within 2 blocks. And i'm scared to go to a closer shop and get raped by them because I have no clue if they're telling the truth or not. Any ideas? Would like responses to be emailed to me at dougjmb@hotmail.com as i'm not sure i'll find my way back here but I guess I can just add this post to favorites to find a way back. Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 PM

153 views and not 1 reply? Not one person would have the slightest clue on this, or advice? I hope everyone that viewed this is having the same issue, because if you have knowledge on this subject or consider yourself smart when doing repairs on Cadillacs and just chose not to offer any advice, you're a douche. This site is as useless as a fkn Cadillac, no help what so ever. Thanks for nothing everyone.