General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Cadillac deville concourse 4900- DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default 1995 Cadillac Deville 4.9L - DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

from your duplicate post ..

ORIGINAL: potsynolls

I have a 1995 Cadillac Deville 4.9L. The service engine light is on and recently stays on or off for periods of time. When I start my car, exhaust fumes enter my cabin,I believe now through the interior climate vents. All I know is this problemis very toxic and not healthy. I retrieved some codes thanks to a couple of members of this site:[/align][/align]P013 History[/align]P044 History[/align]P046 CURRENT[/align][/align]Can anyone please tell me what they mean? The official Cadillac and GM websites are not of any help. I have been searching the internet forever with no success. I would rather identify the problem, then go to a shop and request a specific service. I do not want to be fooled by paying for several unnecessary repairs. [/align][/align]Thank you[/align]
ORIGINAL: slowroll

P013 Rear O2 sensor not ready
P044 Rear exhaust lean
P046 fueling difference between R & L banks
Because of odor concern I suggest to check for exhaust leak related to rear exhaust manifold. You may also need rear O2 sensor.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: 1995 Cadillac deville concourse 4900- DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

Ok... What exactly is a fueling difference Between the left and right banks? Do you think you could help me better understand? Where in the car doesthis problem take place? Is this something I can fix myself? What would I need to have in orderto correct the "fueling difference betweenL & R banks"?

Iappreciate you guysfor taking the time to answer my post!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Default RE: 1995 Cadillac deville concourse 4900- DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

Can you please help me better understand code: P046, fueling difference between R & L banks? I was also told it could be the fuel pressure regulator. Is this the same thing?Is it possible that I could buy the parts and fix my car?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 AM

I've read all the posts and I'm surprised that no one came up with the obvious, Northstars contribute to the oil crisis, they leak more oil in a couple months than mostother enginesconsume in a year.Your Northstaris leaking oil on the exhaust crossover that goes right under the oil pan and when it leaks it's drops right on top of the hot exhaust and burns hence the smell.AnotherNorthstar problem is coolant leaks from the manifold that drips down on to the rear exhaust, now the good news, both can be fixed by trading the car into a cadillac dealer, only a cadillac dealer the reason I say this is Northstars have had this problem since 95 and Cadillac won't do anything about it except tell you tofix theoil leak andit will cost 2400.00 and the coolant leak, they usually turn thatinto a head gasket leak, also out of this world. If you do buy another Cadillac Have it pre inspected by the dealer get it in writing that it wasn't leaking at time of purchase and buy a warrantee that will cover it when it does leak. Also get that in writing because it will leak.Good Luck, Jenny

Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: potsynolls

Can you please help me better understand code: P046, fueling difference between R & L banks? I was also told it could be the fuel pressure regulator. Is this the same thing?Is it possible that I could buy the parts and fix my car?

this thread fell through the cracks .. read what jenny said.

the p046 is most likely the injectors. usually a connector but sometimes the injector itself.
is the P046 code always running or is it intermittent? when injectors start to fail, they usually
dont go back and forth - connectors do.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

P046 fueling difference L & R banks will not be set by external oil leaks. P046 is a 4.9 while P119 is northstar code. Stomper is correct bad injector can cause it. It also can be set by blown injector fuse, harness issues, ECM, vacuum leaks at intake gasket where it meets head, exhaust leak(s) before or near manifold mounted O2 sensor, or O2 sensor. On 4.5 pfi if A.I.R. system is not operating correctly. ECM monitors right and left O2s, if sensors are reading far apart one reading rich and the other lean it will set.