General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Cadillac deville concourse 4900- DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Default 1995 Cadillac deville concourse 4900- DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

Say, I recently bought a 1995 deville concourse with the 4.9 engine. The service engine light on the dash was on when I bought it. A couple days later, I got an engine flush, oil changed to synthetic and a fuel system cleaning at a locally trusted Jiffy Lube. After the service, the service
engine light is still on. Besides from that, I am extremely concerned... When I start my
car, awful fumes enter the inside of the car that I can't see, but damn sure can smell. After about five to ten minutes of driving, the strong odor goes away or maybe becomes very subtle. When I am driving and come to a stop, waiting for a traffic light, the smell does not again consume the inside like when I first start the car. If I shop at a grocery store for a few minutes, re-enter the car and start it, no smell (or maybe a constant smell that isn't as powerful or easy to detect). This leak or whatever my car has is not consistent but does have the pattern I described. What gives? Please help!

==============

Moderator edit
title

Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!

Can you better describe odor?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: potsynolls

Say, I recently bought a 1995 deville concourse with the 4.9 engine. The service engine light on the dash was on when I bought it. A couple days later, I got an engine flush, oil changed to synthetic and a fuel system cleaning at a locally trusted Jiffy Lube. After the service, the service
engine light is still on. Besides from that, I am extremely concerned... When I start my
car, awful fumes enter the inside of the car that I can't see, but damn sure can smell. After about five to ten minutes of driving, the strong odor goes away or maybe becomes very subtle. When I am driving and come to a stop, waiting for a traffic light, the smell does not again consume the inside like when I first start the car. If I shop at a grocery store for a few minutes, re-enter the car and start it, no smell (or maybe a constant smell that isn't as powerful or easy to detect). This leak or whatever my car has is not consistent but does have the pattern I described. What gives? Please help!
Until we can figure out whether that is the smell of a skunk under the seat, a passenger passing gas,
or exhaust fumes, i be driving with windows OPEN, all the way.

Like slowroll asked, need to describe odor and if i may add, need the codes that are setting off the "engine light".

Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM

The smell is the exhaust and I'm not sure how to get any codes.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

To get codes depress off and warmer buttons on a/c control for 3-10 sec. List E or P codes. Exhaust leak at exhaust donut is possible. If its a Concours engine should be a Northstar. If the odor is of "rotten eggs" codes are important

Old 11-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

I believe most all GM's comply to this thread for code retrieval and resets.
slowroll can verify or .. ?

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_11904/tm.htm

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

The supposed original sticker lists the car as being a concours, but it has the 4.9L and has the cadillac crest on the hood and both sides behind each rear window. Also says sedan deville on the chrome side molding. I'm happy with it either way.

Slowroll, thank you very much for your help (and stealth). I'll try what you said about gettin the codes. Still I'm not sure if I understand what buttons to press; I know where off is, but when you mentioned the warmer button on a/c control (?), are you refering to the red button above the blue for the temp. increase?The smell is of exhaust, not quite the same as what comes out of the tail pipe; a maybe more raw form before it gets cycled through the exhust system possibly? Definatly not the smell of rotten eggs! Also how am I supposed to transilate these codes once obtained? Will it cycle through a series of codes or will one code just pop up?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Yes, the red button is the warmer button. All On-Board codes will display on dic, then PCM? will come up. Just post codes and someone will tell you what they mean or get factory shop manuals they are very handy.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 PM

I have the codes!!!!!!! Please tell me what they mean...
PO13 history
P044 history
P046 CURRENT

Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

P013 Rear O2 sensor not ready
P044 Rear exhaust lean
P046 fueling difference between R & L banks
Because of odor concern I suggest to check for exhaust leak related to rear exhaust manifold. You may also need rear O2 sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Cadillac deville concourse 4900- DANGEROUS fumes inside car, HELP!