General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 cadillac brougham window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Default 1991 cadillac brougham window regulator

Looking for some guidance... My passenger front window goes up and down in small increments. Sometimes i have to wait a few minutes in between attempts to raise the glass. I was told to replace the window regulator so I just purchased the AC Delco #12497971 regulator. Has anyone run into this issue in the past. How difficult is it to replace? Ive tried to hold the window switch down or up while closing the door to possibly free the regulator (motor). any other tips or words of advice before i take my door panel apart? thank you!

Old 03-11-2020, 05:22 PM

A bad regulator will not cause intermittant operation. It is most likely a bad window motor or an electrical issue. Any how the door has to be opened to figure out whats wrong anyhow. A window regulator or motor in one of these is not a job for the inexperienced you could easily loose a finger as there is a very powerful spring in there that will turn the regulator into a giant pair of scissors if you are not careful. I am not saying you can't do it but it is not a easy job.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:28 PM

I have replaced regulators on 2 different 92 eldorados, I didn't find it hard, if your worried about chopping off any fingers, disconnect the battery.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:35 PM

The battery has nothing to do with it. If the regulator isn't locked one way or another when you remove the motor the power of the regulator spring will take over and cause the regulator to suddenly move if your finger is in the wrong place when this happens then snip. Another thing is the car you did it in takes a different style regulator than his so you are comparing apples to oranges. I doubt his problem is a regulator in the first place though.

Last edited by Short Fuse; 03-12-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the update Short fuse, wasn't aware of different designs, good to know as I also own a 91 brougham. Ken

Old 03-12-2020, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by scruffy
Thanks for the update Short fuse, wasn't aware of different designs, good to know as I also own a 91 brougham. Ken
You where lucky with yours in one way and unlucky in others. His window motor or regulator is a lot harder to change but it is also much cheaper. While the design of yours the motor is easy to change as you can do it without removing everything from inside the door how ever the cost of the regulator is very high as it is a major component of the door. I have been working on cars for 33 years and always advise people to try and learn to fix their own cars except in some jobs that could get you easily hurt if you are not aware of all the steps. I hate doing the regulators in the old style doors like his and I have done a bunch of them. Struts, large coil springs, torsion bars and airbags are also dangerous.