General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Cadillac El Dorado

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1989 Cadillac El Dorado

FAQ will tell you how to get codes, and direct you to what they mean. When display is dim are lights on? FSM will be very handy working on your car.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Hey guys.

I know this is an older thread that I am resurrecting, but I haven't yet gotten it fixed due to very limited budget and other things going wrong.

I have had to replace my water pump and radiator in the last month. There is still a problem with my displays. I just purchased, received, and installed an new CPS from Allantesource.com. Nothing changed. My dash and DIC are still just black.

Slowroll, I went the FAQ and got the instructions on getting the codes as you suggested. The only problem with that is there is no display to get the codes off of. Would Autozone, since they are free, be able to get the same codes as would display on the DIC.

Any thoughts on another culprit for my lack of display or is there something I am supposed to do to calibrate or otherwise to get the CPS to work after installation.

My frustration is mounting with this car as much as I enjoy having one to tinker and learn with.

WildRed

Go Hogs Go!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Well, I went to Autozone to attempt to pull codes. Apparently, the car is too old for them to be able to read. The only option I can think of is to take it to a shop and pay to have them pulled off.

If I get the codes off, is there a chance it would give me an indication of what the electrical problem is that is causing my displays to be black? I didn't know if it only gave codes pertaining to the engine or if it would give codes for other systems.

Thanks,
WildRed