General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Cadillac El Dorado

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Default 1989 Cadillac El Dorado

Hey Everyone,

I'm a new poster but have lurked a little in the last couple of weeks.

My wife's grandfather just gave me an '89 El Dorado that has 100k miles on it. The body is in really good shape but the interior is rough and I don't know how well the engine has been maintained, but it was free.

My question has to do with my dash. The digital dashboards have always made me nervous because of the possibility of the going out. In the last day or so mine has become so dim that I can barely see it any longer and the left side has basically gone out all together, and yes, I did check the interior light dial,

I had the alternator checked today and it was charging just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas of items that would be easily checked by someone who know just enough to get in a lot of trouble with cars?

Thanks in advance.

Go HOGS Go!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 1989 Cadillac El Dorado

Above the gas pedal behind the plastic cover is a unit called a "CENTRAL POWER SUPPLY" loosen 2 10 mm nuts, and slide it off its bracket.( big silver metal box)It says central power supply on it on a decal.It provides a stable voltage to the digital displays. They often fail. With the car running and the CPS dangling down, slap it with your palm. Ifthe display flickers, goes out or changes brightness, replace it.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks Carnut,

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I would have never known this. I will give it a try and let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks again.
WildRed

Go Hogs Go!!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

Also go onto the web site www.allantesource.com talks about the CPS and what part number to get if faulty. Same part used in Allante, Seville and Eldo. click on new/used parts, then click onto central power supply. Lists the common faults and best part number.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 PM

I have to say one thing first; either Cadillac mechanics are skinnier, more flexible, or both; than me. I don't know how many cramps I got getting to my CPS.

I knocked around on it to the point that I didn't want to damage it if it was out already. It didn't seem to cause a flicker or anything with my display.

The website you referred me seemed to point to the same conclusion you came to. By the way, I book marked it because it gave me some good ideas for other issues I am having.

I don't normally drive the car at night, but I did remember what I can only believe is another sympton from a week or so ago. The display suddenly went dim (not out). After a minute or so it came back up to the normal brightness. I immediately thought my alternator was going out but my voltage was fine and later tested fine.

Do you still feel like the CPS is my issue or do you have any other ideas? If it is my CPS, do you have an idea of what I can look for as to cost?

Thanks,
WildRed

Go Hogs Go!!
[/align]

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Certified Members

My only other thought is the cluster itself. Uneven brightness is the best clue. Do you have the newest part number on your CPS? If not, its not premature to replace it, but with a wrecking yard piece. Same with the cluster, wrecking yard. The mileage should be retained in the BCM.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Ok, thanks Carnut.

I did check the number against the number that allantesource.com said I should have, and it did match.

Maybe I'll start calling around to salvage yards and contact allantesource and get some quotes.

Thank you very much for your help and I will post again what the final results are.

Thanks again.
WildRed

Go Hogs Go!!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 PM

I have gotten some prices on replacing my dash cluster and they all came in at around $100 or so. But I have not had much luck on my CPS. Up until today my DIC was working fine, however, on the way home it and my climate control went out. When I say it went out, it seems to be working, but not displaying anything. Could this be symptomatic of a failed CPS?

Thanks,
WildRed

Go Hogs Go!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

Did complete panel go out?, Did anything else happen at same time? Are there codes stored?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Yeah. The gauge display wasvery dim and with uneven brightness but the DIC was fine. When I got in and started it Monday, the gauge display was black and the DIC and climate control are black also. The DIC controls do still work, you just can't see the display.

Nothing else happened when it went out. Prior to them going out the dash would light up momentarily only to go dim again.

I have to plead ignorance on the codes.

Quick Reply: 1989 Cadillac El Dorado