General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 coupe deville trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Angry 1968 coupe deville trans leak

I have a 1968 coupe deville, and i have a REALLY bad tranny leak. I recently bought the car and didn't realize at the time that there was a tranny leak that was this bad. No biggy I got a good deal. But since the leak has gotten worse it seems to be slipping a lot more. I took it in to the local shop that specializes in classic cars and had them look at it. And they think a tranny service should fix the problem, I was hoping that someone could give me advice on looking into a new tranny or rebuilding this one, or just do the service and see what happens. Oh they are charging 800 for the tranny service and replacement of pinion bearing. Hope i am not getting ripped off to bad.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Certified Members

Before spending the money, do you know the source of the leak? If it's just a seal or gasket that is leaking it could cost quite a bit less. As far as the slipping goes it's hard to say. If you have driven it alot with very low fluid that could be bad. If not too much driving it may be ok but no promises. If you were to warm it up and fill it to the appropriate fluid level does it still slip? I have a 70 coupe deville so I can give you a good idea at what your looking at. Get as much info as you can and we can see whats up.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 AM

If you do decide to go with the service at the shop, please PLEASE be sure to ask them how they do that. If they use the exchange system, tell them to kick rocks. You don't want transmission AIDZ in your car from the last car/s they had hooked up to it.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

get second opinion!!!! sounds like gasket, and or seals..... easy fix with a tranny service.... car should have had one by now anyway.
rickyd

Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM

Well I had them do a tranny service only, and the think that will fix the problem since the leak was att the very far back seal (near drive shaft) so a tranny servie was done and the discovered the u joints were shot also, I guess thats to be expected with a 40 year old car, and before you say it, I did personally go down and see the u-joints that were worn out to make sure they were really worn out and they werent trying to take my money.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by ta2ddaddy
Well I had them do a tranny service only, and the think that will fix the problem since the leak was att the very far back seal (near drive shaft) so a tranny servie was done and the discovered the u joints were shot also, I guess thats to be expected with a 40 year old car, and before you say it, I did personally go down and see the u-joints that were worn out to make sure they were really worn out and they werent trying to take my money.

cool..... lol.. glad to see your on top of things taddaddy.... or under things...LOL
good luck with the issue. hope ya the best
rickyd

Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ta2ddaddy
I have a 1968 coupe deville, and i have a REALLY bad tranny leak. I recently bought the car and didn't realize at the time that there was a tranny leak that was this bad. No biggy I got a good deal. But since the leak has gotten worse it seems to be slipping a lot more. I took it in to the local shop that specializes in classic cars and had them look at it. And they think a tranny service should fix the problem, I was hoping that someone could give me advice on looking into a new tranny or rebuilding this one, or just do the service and see what happens. Oh they are charging 800 for the tranny service and replacement of pinion bearing. Hope i am not getting ripped off to bad.
$800 ? Holy S * * *

Are they using holy sacred cow oil?

Before anything at all, add ONE BOTTLE of LUCAS trans fix, drive 100+ miles.

go home, then :

Drop the pan, fluid come out, change the filter, new gasket, TORQUE BOLTS, add 2 bottles of LUCAS Trans Fix (YES, AGAIN), fill system with proper fluid.. GO Cruise .. clock 100+ miles and report back ...