General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 dts head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 01 dts head gasket - spend the $25, save the $3,000 to $6,000

ORIGINAL: automech

Engine Swap? It is very hard, a lot of stress and a lot of money.You have to get the right tools, good mechanic/engineering, and right parts. If your just swaping motor for motor, it's not all that difficult. If your swapping a smaller motor and going to a larger one, it's more complex. the most difficult time you will have with it, is the attention to detail that is required.
Excellent point .. allow me to clarify.

When it comes to a 2001 DTS or anything of that era, everything I have said only applies to
a swap of identical engines, like for like. Anything else and all bets are off.

Talk to us about pre-fuel injection / emmissions, and the story changes.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM

ok guys. good news.

decided to make a couple of calls today and ended up finding a guy who does northstar head gaskets very frequently. everyone i called was like, 'that's the one motor we don't touch' and he would refer me to someone else. well i went down the line and eventually ended up calling a place called engine exchange. well, the guy there said he doesn't do them either, but he referred me to a guy around the corner from him that 'does them all the time'

aparantly you need a special tool, in case the block threads strip out. well not many guys have it. anyway, the guy bud (wholesale auto, bensalem pa) got on the phone with me and sounded like he knew exactly what he was talking about. he warned me about the threads but said that usually that only happened on the 96 and older northstars. so yes, he does have to drop the engine from underneath. he's gonna do both head gaskets because he said it doesn't make much sense to only do one. anyway, it's gonna cost me $1400 to get it done, and if the threads pull out, which hopefully they won't, it will be an extra $500 because he has to retap all of the holes. well, i'm hoping that everything goes well. keep your fingers crossed. the guy bud seemed like a really nice guy and had a nice shop, even though i didn't end up going in. he says the job will take him 2 or 3 days. i offered to give him a deposit and he said 'no'. so we'll see, hopefully the dts will be back in full force, ready for some road trips!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rwrows

ok guys. good news.

decided to make a couple of calls today and ended up finding a guy who does northstar head gaskets very frequently. everyone i called was like, 'that's the one motor we don't touch' and he would refer me to someone else. well i went down the line and eventually ended up calling a place called engine exchange. well, the guy there said he doesn't do them either, but he referred me to a guy around the corner from him that 'does them all the time'

aparantly you need a special tool, in case the block threads strip out. well not many guys have it. anyway, the guy bud (wholesale auto, bensalem pa) got on the phone with me and sounded like he knew exactly what he was talking about. he warned me about the threads but said that usually that only happened on the 96 and older northstars. so yes, he does have to drop the engine from underneath. he's gonna do both head gaskets because he said it doesn't make much sense to only do one. anyway, it's gonna cost me $1400 to get it done, and if the threads pull out, which hopefully they won't, it will be an extra $500 because he has to retap all of the holes. well, i'm hoping that everything goes well. keep your fingers crossed. the guy bud seemed like a really nice guy and had a nice shop, even though i didn't end up going in. he says the job will take him 2 or 3 days. i offered to give him a deposit and he said 'no'. so we'll see, hopefully the dts will be back in full force, ready for some road trips!

Dont get your hopes too high .. it is likely the threads will give way when he goes to torque the bolts down.

this is the tool for them threads ...

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_17781/tm.htm