New from Florida - 1999 Cadillac SLS Engine project

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Default New from Florida - 1999 Cadillac SLS Engine project

My name is Phil and I have a 99 SLS project (It needs a new engine kind of project).
I love my cars, I have three Mustangs and my Wife has a 97 Camaro and will have the SLS to haul our little girl around once I get it running.

I am in the middle of a major build up of my 03, It is getting a fully forged aluminum 4.6 with a big Pro Charger (F1 or F2) and a big stalled auto. It will should have 900-1000 RWHP!

My 95 Cobra R clone has been my DD lately. It has an Iron blocked 4.6 with an Eaton blower and a T56. Just this past saturday I ran my best time to date, I went a 10.89 @ 129.9. It is very impressive considering that it has stock heads, cams, and intake, with a stock eaton.

The 88 LX has a home built 331with AFR heads, a small cam, and a Vortech S-Trim supercharger. It makes 485RWHP and 481 RWT on a very conservative tune. Once I get the suspension dialed in, It should run a mid to high ten.

My wifes 97 Camaro is currently a V6. BUT, it will be getting an engine swap once I get the Caddy running. I have an lt1 and a six speed to drop in it (and everything else needed to do the swap). She will drive it with mostly bolt ons for a while, than the heads and cam 383 will be built . It was origionally silver, but we painted it the same color as my Cobra. Dark Shadow Grey looks hott on the Camaro!

The above pic is the day I picked the car up. The color is much brighter than the pic shows.

I just tore into the motor and found out it is definately BAD!

===================
Moderator edit
Title and move

Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default 1999 Cadillac SLS project

ORIGINAL: mpe331lx

My name is Phil and I have a 99 SLS project (It needs a new engine kind of project).
I love my cars, I have three Mustangs and my Wife has a 97 Camaro and will have the SLS to haul our little girl around once I get it running.

I am in the middle of a major build up of my 03, It is getting a fully forged aluminum 4.6 with a big Pro Charger (F1 or F2) and a big stalled auto. It will should have 900-1000 RWHP!

My 95 Cobra R clone has been my DD lately. It has an Iron blocked 4.6 with an Eaton blower and a T56. Just this past saturday I ran my best time to date, I went a 10.89 @ 129.9. It is very impressive considering that it has stock heads, cams, and intake, with a stock eaton.

The 88 LX has a home built 331with AFR heads, a small cam, and a Vortech S-Trim supercharger. It makes 485RWHP and 481 RWT on a very conservative tune. Once I get the suspension dialed in, It should run a mid to high ten.

My wifes 97 Camaro is currently a V6. BUT, it will be getting an engine swap once I get the Caddy running. I have an lt1 and a six speed to drop in it (and everything else needed to do the swap). She will drive it with mostly bolt ons for a while, than the heads and cam 383 will be built . It was origionally silver, but we painted it the same color as my Cobra. Dark Shadow Grey looks hott on the Camaro!

I will post pics later.

Kuddos to your wife .. that seems like a long wait on her Camaro!

That is some fleet!

Going by your track record, are you doing superchargers on the STS ?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Default RE: 1999 Cadillac SLS project

ORIGINAL: stomper

Kuddos to your wife .. that seems like a long wait on her Camaro!

That is some fleet!

Going by your track record, are you doing superchargers on the STS ?

LOL, it has been a long wait.
I would love to retrofit an Eaton off of a newer STS-V, but all I am wanting to do is put a running engine in it. I bought the car very cheap knowing that it did not run. I tore into it and found a cracked cylinder liner. I dont plan I buying a re-man engine, I would rather pick up a good block and build one myself.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: mpe331lx

LOL, it has been a long wait.
I would love to retrofit an Eaton off of a newer STS-V, but all I am wanting to do is put a running engine in it. I bought the car very cheap knowing that it did not run. I tore into it and found a cracked cylinder liner. I dont plan I buying a re-man engine, I would rather pick up a good block and build one myself.
A cracked liner?
how did they accomplish that feat?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Added Pics[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

ORIGINAL: stomper

A cracked liner?
how did they accomplish that feat?

I'm not sure, I bought the car without ANY knowlege of prior history. I just could not pass the deal up.
I found a low milage take out from the same year SLS. I think that I will be picking it up this weekend.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site, and great pics also. One question what part of Florida?

Caution venomous snakes in area?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.

Welcome to the site, and great pics also. One question what part of Florida?

Caution venomous snakes in area?
Thaks, I'm from Port Charlotte. The Venomous snakes sign was at a rest stop in the Orlando area. I thought it was a pretty cool pic.