Diagnostic Distress... - Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Unhappy Diagnostic Distress...

OK, good people. I'm both a recent owner of an '85 Eldorado Biarritz w/ the 4100 (9 mos.) and a brand new subscriber to the Forum. Here's my dilemma:

I have really been trying to resolve my performance problems, but haven't found anyone with the knowledge (or desire) to help me. After having repeated issues with acceleration, white smoke, "Service Soon" lights & the like, I finally learned how to run the diagnostic from the ECC panel. My codes were:

28 (Open Fourth Gear circuit)
30 (ISC circuit problem)
52 (ECM Memory Reset Indicator)

At this point, I simply just want to know what to replace. If I knew the name of the part(s), I'd buy them and have them installed. Dealerships (Shirey Cadillac - Oak Lawn, IL) and mechanics (CarX) refuse to run diagnostics and tell me the engine is trashed, simply based on how the car sounds (without even touching it). I'm just not ready to get rid of my EL-Dog. Any sugguestions?

Last edited by PianoMan713; 03-11-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Change in E-mail Notification to "Instant"
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

E28 - It maybe open fourth gear switch - it is located valve body accessed by removing lover pan. Cost wise no more than 100.00 over transmission service.
E30 - ISC is not actuating the way ECM expects it to. It should move in and out smoothly. It can also if it is slow moving when car is started...prolonged high idle or won't idle high enough on started up.
E52 - ECM reset - mostly caused by disconnecting battery. Poor connections, grounds or bad ECM. If code comes back and battery tests good and was not disconnected.
Need to get FSM or Alldata to get information to On-board to diagnose your car if you plan to keep it.
White smoke - are you loosing coolant does engine run hot?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Very good information...Thank You very much. That brings me to my next question, and I'm afraid your answer might upset me, but answer anyway. LOL The transmission shop I just paid $1,000 pointed the symptons out to me (they noticed them during the road test they did before rebuilding the trans.). Is that "28" code something that they not only should've noticed, but should've been the ones to fix it?

(I ask simply because there's a 12-mo. warranty on the labor they performed). If so, is there anything I should specifically say to them when I return it, or is this not directly linked to the transmission.

My other question was (in regards to the "30" code)...is it better to have the ISC replaced or adjusted (and I'm thinking long-term here)?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

If trans shop just did internal repairs you should take it back - switch may have poor connection.Is transmission shifting into 4th gear? If it doesn't - trans may have to come apart. It's an old car so things can go bad every day. It's a pressure switch there is no real way to test other than pass/fail. If trans shop just repaired leaks ...ie. chain cover gasket at back of trans you could take it back and hope for discount on repair, because it would not be related to repair. E30 relates more to how ISC operates however if base idle and / or TPS are out of adjustment; it could cause code.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Man, the one thing I always long for is for "comprehendable explanations." With my limited car knowledge, I can understand everything you're saying, which makes me feel like I'm equipped to fight/resolve the issue. I appreciate you, slowroll. ;-)
Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 AM

Another question I had... even with $25.00 of gas put in the car, the electronic dashboard will read the correct number of gallons remaining, but the "Fuel Range" indicator is always much too low (never calculates nearly the correct amount of miles left). What is the defect there and what needs to be replaced (if anything)?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

Many things have changed in the years since car was "State of the Art;fuel in a big way. Gasoline is so much better than back in 85, it also has ethanol now which can skew calculations. Fuel gauge will flash E shortly be for you need your walking shoes, that hasn't changed.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM

That makes sense. Thanks, again.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:48 PM

...been having a lot of trouble locating a 4.1 engine online; a lot of sites have them listed, but don't carry them when you call & inquire.

...so, what I'm wondering is...can I just buy parts wherever I can find them and have someone "rebuild" my engine that way? I'm sure there are more parts than my limited knowledge tells me, but I'm willing to do the research.

(I know some of the big terminology like cylinder head, intake manifold, etc.)

..."bonus question" would be, "What are some of the parts that I might not know of but should definitely consider (should buying individual parts be the way to go)?