Cadillac XLR The cutting edge luxury sports car offering the feel of a coupe or a roadster at the touch of a button

Cadillac XLR trunk lid will not open

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Default Cadillac XLR trunk lid will not open

we have xlr that the trunk lid will not open, our mechanical department tried to open for a few days and coldnt open it, so they sent it to the body shop where i am the manager. it apprears the lid is trying to open for putting the top down instead of opening for the lid only the forward latches release and the lid will come up about 1/2 inch in the forward area. however the rear latch located in the rear center part of the lid does not seem to release. we have exhausted all of the recomendations from cadillac and wonder if anyone as anything else to add, thank you

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default This should be a new tread

Codes? What kind history do you have on car? What did owner say - describing concern? when,what,how, etc.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Certified Members

have they called The Fonz ? the most famous of all TECHS !

Quite a mechanic that later became an auto mechanic instructor, then a school teacher and was quite skilled in fixing the stuck jukebox or opening stuck doors by hitting them with the side of his fist.

Last edited by stomper; 11-05-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 PM

this doesn't sound good, I have the same problem and have posted anywhere I can think of and no solution yet

To start with, the car sat for several months and had a dead battery. I used the bumper key to open the trunk. At this point I thought the handle by the trunk latch was supposed to open the doors so I pilled it. Obviously nothing happened so I continued until I located the actual door release cable. This was all great, I got the battery charged and closed the trunk. Minutes later when getting ready to leave the garage I tried to open the trunk and it would not unlatch. The front of the lid lifted as the motors tried to open it but the latch just wouldn't release. I tried using the bumper key again but this time it did nothing. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset it but it still will not work.

There is a similar post here which I have contributed to. I wouldn't say I solved the problem myself but I did get the trunk open and replaced the latch.
XLR 2006 - Top and Trunk will not Open - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

Last edited by jellyhead; 01-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 PM

I replace and or clean lots of relays on these cars because they sit all the time. The relay contacts are not corroded or burnt they just have a slight film on them.

Thats just one place to look.

Most of the issues with these cars are from not being driven and sitting in a damp garage.

Last edited by djlan99; 12-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.