Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

sts won't start! just clicks

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Default sts won't start! just clicks

hadn't run my 2002 sts with 128k miles much since it had snowed. Had to mysteriously replace a water pump pulley and belt also. Rode incredible for a day or two after. Arrived at a store on a 60 degree day...hopped out, ran in, back in the 'lac. Tried to start it, only a click. Once again...click. Several tries later reveal that click, or no click, i won't be getting her started. Battery has a great charge, everything functions at once without lag or drain. Starter hasn't been showing any signs of decay except a "drained" sounding start a couple days prior, which i chalked up to her resting for a week or two. Connection to the starter loose? Or maybe the ignition switch is bad? Starter wire bad? Any help?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by thatyoungin
hadn't run my 2002 sts with 128k miles much since it had snowed. Had to mysteriously replace a water pump pulley and belt also. Rode incredible for a day or two after. Arrived at a store on a 60 degree day...hopped out, ran in, back in the 'lac. Tried to start it, only a click. Once again...click. Several tries later reveal that click, or no click, i won't be getting her started. Battery has a great charge, everything functions at once without lag or drain. Starter hasn't been showing any signs of decay except a "drained" sounding start a couple days prior, which i chalked up to her resting for a week or two. Connection to the starter loose? Or maybe the ignition switch is bad? Starter wire bad? Any help?
a click click sound often means the starter is not getting enough power ... i be checking the connections from battery to starter before doing anything else.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanks. I'll check that first. Is the starter for the sts near the intake? I'm having trouble finding it. I'm gonna start with the starter wire.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by thatyoungin
Thanks. I'll check that first. Is the starter for the sts near the intake? I'm having trouble finding it. I'm gonna start with the starter wire.
i believe that for a '02, its under the intake manifold.