Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Front End bang or clunk sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Default Front End bang or clunk sound

Looks like I'll be going back to the dealer with my 2007 STS. Whenever I go up a driveway approach or go down a driveway approach, something is making a banging or a clunking type sound. Driversside only. It also does it at slower speeds when going over an axpansion joint that as opened up a bit. Steering Shaft has already been replaced along with the steering gear. Any ideas as to whattheyshould look at? Sometimes it feels like it comes thru the floor board. When they replaced my hood latch they re-checked the shaft and gear and said it was ok but didn't look at anything else.

Eddiek

Old 09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Front End bang or clunk sound

Strut? Where does it feel like it is coming through the floor?

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Katzmans Caddy

Thanks for your quick reply. Like in between the floor board and firewall? Just went for a ride again and it sure is a noisey car. If I go real slow when I pull into the garage, I can feel like a wiggle sensation in the front wheel. The garage floor is about a 1/3 of an inch higher than the driveway. And no the cement is not moving. It's the car making that loose feeling.

Eddiek

Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Very hard to figure this out over the internet but that has to be unsettling to have that loose feeling front wheel. I think you should get the car back ASAP. How many miles are on this car and when did you start noticing the problem?

If you have a floor jack you could lift that side of the car, axle stand under as well, then with the wheel raised push and pull the wheel and see if you can see any play in the assembly, try to replicate the problem and see what is going on there. You shouldn't have to do that on a new car though, just get it back to the dealer and I suggest that you get them to road test it with you in the car so the problem can be confirmed in your presence.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:15 PM

Katzmans Caddy

I already jacked it up and the wheel has no movement at all.Everything else seems tight underneath. The tech will probably go for a ride with me.The problem has been there since day one. I have 1600 miles on the car. Bought it in July. The shaft rattled really bad until it was replaced. Then when they replaced the steering gear we thought it would eliminate this current problem. The bad gear was causing a banging noise when I turned the wheel all the way to the left. That fixed that problem. There are TSB's for the shaft and the steering gear. I'll keep you informed.
My guess is the strut or bad bushing somewhere.

Eddiek

Old 09-14-2007, 12:48 PM

Katzmans Caddy

Just got back from the dealer. Service manager went with me for a test drive. He thought that it was the strut. New strut installed but it didn't reslove the problem. It still clunks when making a left turn into a driveway aproach or going down an approach and on certain road imperfections. They have now ordered a new upper control arm. They are not sure if that will fix the problem either.Do youor anybody else have any ideas? I'm a little surprised that it has them stumped.

Eddiek

Old 09-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

As my kids say, That sucks. Keep at them, now you have a problem verified by the SM so he knows it is there. GM is paying so he will work at it for you. Have they called GM tech for any assistance?

This is an old story but on my Dad's 61 Pontiac, it was a batwing post coupe, we had a rattle, clunk whatever you want to call it from the passenger side in just about the location you describe. Several returns under warranty and nothing found. Finally one Saturday morning Dad was determined to find it for himself so he started tearing out the interior panels.Mom was going nuts because it was a brand new car. Anyway, in the vent on the passenger side he found a nice plated pair of pliers left there we imagine by a line worker. Still have them in my own tool box, best pliers I ever owned!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Katzman Caddy

Love the the pliers story! That was funny. Anyway it is something in the suspension. We can tell just by the way the car feels and the noise. They had me in the service bay to show them what I thought it was. That's when I showed the SM the loose movement in the upper control arm. You put your index finger in in between the area where they bolt goes thru the bushing and you can feel the control arm moving back and forth. We checked another STS on a rack an couldn't feel the movement mine is making. Hopefully that is the problem. Kinda weird that that was my first idea and they didn't thinks so but now they thinks so. I'm no suspension expert. That's their job. I'll let you know. They do treat me good when I pull in to the service area . I get immediate attention. Maybe it's because I called the SM a year ago and complimented them on a good repair job on my 01 Deville.

Eddiek

Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Eddiek

Katzman Caddy

Love the the pliers story! That was funny. Anyway it is something in the suspension. We can tell just by the way the car feels and the noise. They had me in the service bay to show them what I thought it was. That's when I showed the SM the loose movement in the upper control arm. You put your index finger in in between the area where they bolt goes thru the bushing and you can feel the control arm moving back and forth. We checked another STS on a rack an couldn't feel the movement mine is making. Hopefully that is the problem. Kinda weird that that was my first idea and they didn't thinks so but now they thinks so. I'm no suspension expert. That's their job. I'll let you know. They do treat me good when I pull in to the service area . I get immediate attention. Maybe it's because I called the SM a year ago and complimented them on a good repair job on my 01 Deville.

Eddiek

OR maybe the dealership management is just an honest customer caring bunch.
Sounds like this dealership cares ... value it. I do think most dealerships do care. But they
have to work within the GM parameters that many of us dislike. Always remember, the Corp's
alliance is to the shareholders, the dealership alliance is to the customer. Remember that, and you
will make the right decisions.

IF you are impressed with their attitude and performance, post the DEALER profile here.
We, at CadillacForum.com, like to our members to know where they can turn to, in time of need.

I have had experience with local Chev, Ford, Lincoln, Crysler/Dodge,and Cadillac dealers.
Most impressive were the Lincoln folks, least were the Chev and Dodge dealers.
Whatever that means .. over the years, it greatly did influence the extended family's decissions
on what cars to buy. It is a big family, lot and lots of cars.
Let's just say that there are no longer any Chev or Dodge cars among the family.
And i love the new Chargers .. but .. the dealers ....

What we do hear is about the bad apples, just like the news in the evening, nothing good..
With bad dealer mgt, sh*** does flow downhill, all the way down to the bottom, you..

Old 09-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Eddiek

You put your index finger in in between the area where they bolt goes thru the bushing and you can feel the control arm moving back and forth. We checked another STS on a rack an couldn't feel the movement mine is making.
So is it a bad bushing or a improperly manufactured control are? Sounds like that is it though. From your description I can understand what you are telling us so once the slack is fixed there you should be good to go plus you gota few new parts out of the deal that were not broken!

Quick Reply: Front End bang or clunk sound