Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

Engine Issue 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Engine Issue 4.6

CNA is not General Motors Protection Plan or Cadillac Motor Division. Most factory franchised dealers would rather sell/provide new or factory reman engines with a parts and labor warranty. There is some part of this that not been said. NewGM engines are available andis around 8k, used engines can be found for below 2k but the warranty will vary.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 AM

Sorry, didnt catch that CNA thing at the end there.
My concern then would be wether or not the rebuild is because of head gasket...and if so wether or not it was time serted properly. Also.....And big also......

How much warranty and for what is coming with that new engine.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Certified Members

GM engine 3 yr/ 50k. Thread is about oil use not directly head gaskets. The repair risks involving northstars can make warranty co.s opt to install "good" used engines vs attempting repair of original, where heads have to be removed, due to the thread pulling issue. "Squid Decarboning" was developed because of the Northstar's cylinder block short comings.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Thank you to all that have posted.

I need a new or low mileage (with warranty and needs to be certified by dealer)4.6L 300HP engine for a 2002 STS.The 8th digit ofmy VIN is a 9. If you have one or know someone that does please pass on the info.
Thank you

Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: slowroll

CNA is not General Motors Protection Plan or Cadillac Motor Division. Most factory franchised dealers would rather sell/provide new or factory reman engines with a parts and labor warranty. There is some part of this that not been said. NewGM engines are available andis around 8k, used engines can be found for below 2k but the warranty will vary.

Yea, im trying to make this one out too, and something doesnt add up...
rickyd....

Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Please advise- I need a vendor thatcan supply a 4.6L 300HP engine for a 2002 STS.The 8th digit ofmy VIN is a 9. If you have one or know someone that does and offers a warranty as required by the company that issued my extended warranty please pass on the information. I prefer new if possible, but that appears to be a stretch tofind one, so certifiable low mileage will work.
Thank you

Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

I have not heard of a warranty co. putting on the owner to find a used anything. They are the ones who are on the hook not you, unless your warranty is on the verge of expiring. How much money are they/you willing to spend and what kind of warranty is expected? 6yr/unlimited mileage is out of the question.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:28 PM

The warranty company is not asking me to do anything. The dealer found me a used engine and everyone has agreed it is lower mileage and comes with a 12 month warranty and there is 29K miles left on my 100K mile extended warranty.

The dealer informed me the 4.6L engine from the 2002 STS is no longer manufactured and they are unable to locate a new engine. The engine the dealer found isusedwith 55K miles on it. I do not want a used engine. I am taking it upon myself to find a new or low mileage used engine. I care more about this than the dealer or the warranty company. I tried to e-mail GM directly and they referred me back to the dealer.

I found out the original engine suffered a piston failure and it was scored.

I do not know what the warranty company will cover, it appears the used engines were running $2K - $3.5K.

What is better a used engine with 55K miles or taking a chance on a remanufactured engine?

Anyone ever get an engine from Jasper?

Thank you

Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Tech Certified Members

Jasper engine is a viable option. 3 yr /75k nationwide warranty, I will look into the GM and let you know.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

GM engine is available found dealer in MD with one. GM also offers a short block but it only offers a 12mo/12k warranty. Are you dealing with a real Cadillac dealer or a dealer who sells used Cadillacs ?

Quick Reply: Engine Issue 4.6