Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

electric issues e-ghosts...rear integration module, (RIM)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: GM and Cadillac electric issues e-ghosts ... all over ...

SLOWROLL....OK....I'LL HAVE TO DO MONDAY...THANKS
rickyd

Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: slowroll

With a GM tech 2 when condition is occurring look for the non communicating or missing module.
???? DOES THIS MEAN DO NOT CHANGE THE RIM JUST YET?........PERFORM THIS TEST FIRST?........OR IS THIS A TEST FOR THE RIM?..... SORRY[sm=dontgetit.gif]........
rickyd

as of 3:00 today series 300 grounds have been checked,cleaned, coated, and replaced....... i must say that all grounds looked brand new......in talking with past owner, car has been garaged sense day one........i do want to pull up, under hood fuse box and check for corrosion there....(does anyone agree with this?)...............other than that, do the tech2 check for missing, or non responding modules, then replace the RIM.............
what a challenge this has been
rickyd

Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

I figure as I read tech threads, the writers of the posts are trying to avoid the dealer.In mid 90s cadillac got away from on board and the Tech2 became required to diagnose most systems.Car with multiple U codes the scanner is very helpful in determining where to look, it wont necessarily give the answer. If you have gone as far as you go on your own, a trip to the dealer maybe required. The RIM controls most of the things that aren't working when condition occurs.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Certified Members

slowroll..... you give good advise, i am trying to get the car into a certified tech.......tho, our schedules aren't working right.......however, it just seems to me the more i dig, (with the forums help) the closer i'm getting to the problem.......
two questions:
COULD the fuel sending unit be a cause for the E-Ghosts?
COULD there be corrosion under the fuse box in engine compartment that is cause for in cabin E-Ghosts?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

Sending unit merely a sensor, it is monitored and should set its own p series code.Corrosion on power or ground circuits can cause all kinds of unusal conditions. Modules that get less than 10.5v on their battery feed circuits are not going to operate well. They are designed to run on min 12v and max of approx 16v. 13.0-13.8v normal. Yes, corrosion in the underhood or under rearseat electrical centers could cause your problem.Fuses that don't fit teminals tight, also - fuses that have ign, bat, or module in there names are good ones to check for low voltage when condition occurrs. Low source voltage has the same effect as poor grounds , It's just uncommon in GM cars.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

ipc-b1652......ipm-b1652..... and, pcm-p0603........what do these codes mean?? ......... going to dealer tomorrow, and run car with tech2..... i'll follow your instructions slowroll..... tx
rickyd

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

all 3 - loss of keep alive memory. Under hood fuse box contains related fuses. The corrosion you asked about earlier as well as removing fuses to check them could be cause.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

HAD UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX UP AND OUT......UNDERNETH WAS AS CLEAN AS CAN BE......NO CORROSION!!! DID FIND ONE GREEN WIRE THAT HAD A BARE SPOT FROM RUBBING AGAINST CASING.... REPAIRED THAT AND REWRAPPED THE BAND OF WIRES.......IF I WERE TO GUESS, THAT WIRE WAS PART OF FAN, FAN RELAYS.......WE'LL SEE!!!! ALSO TOOK EACH AND EVERY FUSE, AND RELAY OUT TO VISUALLY CHECK.....SCUFFED ALL PINS AND REPLACED........ TECH2 APPT GOT RESET FOR TOMORROW 9:30...... TX SLOWROLL...U DA MAN!
RICKYD

Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Certified Members

hey slowroll, success!!!!! i'm into the RIM....... all connections look clean and corrision free.... there is one big connection back there all taped up, and not connected to anything. do you know what that is? QUESTION...should i at this point just replace the rim?..... i cant find one to exchange, so...... i found on the net, i think gmparts.com i can purchase on for $125.00 or so............. i suppose, whats another buck and a quarter after two large at this point....
is there another way to check if the rim is working properly, other than try another?
standing by
rick

Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

Up until kam reset thread I would say yes, but when tech 2 had issues and code check had missing modules.I would recheck rear fuse box first, there isn't always corrosion to indicate problem. I have seen several fuse boxs with internal open circuits causing assorted problems in cars and trucks lately. They all use the same type box where the large connectors attach to the underside of fuse box. There are no obvious visibles signs. All set U codes

Quick Reply: electric issues e-ghosts...rear integration module, (RIM)