Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

cadillac overheating

Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Default cadillac overheating

i own a 97 sts with northstar. approx 1 year ago the radiator was replaced. approx 1 month ago the heater core burst and i bypassed it with a galvinized pipe in a u shape in the engine compartment. ever since then the car would overheat when driven approx 15 miles.

I finally replaced the heater core today, and poured 2 gallons of antifreeze into the system as it had all came out with the recent overheating events. the car today actually got hotter than it ever has been after the installation of the heater core. i dont know what is going on.

i dont know how to check the thermostat without taking it out, or to check the water pump. is there anyway to check these two things?
or is it possibly some thing else i havent thought of.

I NEED HELP BADLY. I am mechanically inclined and have no problems getting greasy i just need some direction.

thanks for reading my sob story.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:42 PM

I think the only safe way to check the thermostat is taking it out. My guess would be that it got stuck when you ran the car with low coolant and hot.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Tech Certified Members

to check the stat, take it out, place it in a pot of water and a thermometer. heat the water watching to see when it opens.
Whether it tests good or bad, replace it with a new one.

you can see if the stat works by watching the coolant temp in the radiator, or by disconnecting the upper hrad hose .. but .. you gotta know what you are doing to not get mislead or worse, burned.

the test is only to tell you IF that was the problem or you got other issues. I expect the stat to test OK. will see.

report back ?
we will need more details to guide you then. read the help thread in the general tech section.

Originally Posted by mpayton View Post
i own a 97 sts with northstar. approx 1 year ago the radiator was replaced. approx 1 month ago the heater core burst and i bypassed it with a galvanized pipe in a u shape in the engine compartment. ever since then the car would overheat when driven approx 15 miles.

I finally replaced the heater core today, and poured 2 gallons of antifreeze into the system asit had all came out with the recent overheating events. the car today actually got hotter than it ever has been after the installation of the heater core. i dont know what is going on.

i dont know how to check the thermostat without taking it out, or to check the water pump. is there anyway to check these two things?
or is it possibly some thing else i havent thought of.

I NEED HELP BADLY. I am mechanically inclined and have no problems getting greasy i just need some direction.

thanks for reading my sob story.

Last edited by stomper; 07-20-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM

the stat tested ok, but i replaced it anywys. the car still overheats what can i check next to find the problem

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by stomper View Post
to check the stat, take it out, place it in a pot of water and a thermometer. heat the water watching to see when it opens.
Whether it tests good or bad, replace it with a new one.

you can see if the stat works by watching the coolant temp in the radiator, or by disconnecting the upper hrad hose .. but .. you gotta know what you are doing to not get mislead or worse, burned.

the test is only to tell you IF that was the problem or you got other issues. I expect the stat to test OK. will see.

report back ?
we will need more details to guide you then. read the help thread in the general tech section.
Please read it ...
TECHs are here to HELP !

Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM

sounds like headgasket problems to me when you take heads off to replace gasket inserts need to be installed have heads checked for warpping when you have them off good luck

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 PM

Was the bypass removed once the heater core was "finally" repaired properly....LMAO...?