Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

97 STS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Default 97 STS

I am new to this forum, and need some help. I have a 97 STS. When the car is in park or neutral all gear lights flash. This happened after the alt was replaced. The mech had no idea what was wrong with it. Anyone seen or heard of this? Thanks to all who reply.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Default RE: 97 STS

Well I guess I'll take this one.

Ok so the gear lights flash, is it a continuous flashing? Or do they just do it once? If it's only when the thing is in Park or Neutral, you have to ask yourself if it's something that is going to the bother you too much.

That being said, you could always go to a competant GM dealership and ask them what the possible cause is. If they want to charge you for it, politely tell them to shove it. Some local dealership in your area should be able to provide you with the information for little to no cost. They may have to do a diag on the vehicle for a small fee.

Otherwise, if it isn't effecting you or the performance of the vehicle, you might just consider leaving it alone. Sounds bad, but meh... saves you the trouble. If you're lucky you won't have to exercise this mindset too much with your '97 STS.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM

They flash continuously. Emailed cad support and they have no idea. Dealership wants to charge $150 for diag hookup. I have a diag tool, dgimoto, it shows nothing. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 AM

A not too scientific, Micro$oft-inspired idea is to disconnect the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. This will reset the computer and might clear up the involuntary blinking. The drawback is that you will have to reprogram your radio, clock and saets.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM

The battery has been changed, so I think things should of been reset after that. Its really weird, the auto door locks dont engage when car is in gear. This all happened after the alt was changed. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks

Old 04-13-2007, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: gq420
Its really weird, the auto door locks dont engage when car is in gear.
Hmm, neither do on mine - because I disabled that feature. Maybe, this is a clue! We'll have to dig into diagnostics, and study IPC Override settings. Later!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

i be disconnecting the " + " terminal OFF the battery post ...
then disconnecting the ECM & harness to DASH electronics, cleaning contacts and applying di-electric grease,
then i be doing the same for the alternator, making sure the right plugs are in their right places.

then, come on back ?
i may need a billing address ...

kidding ...
kidding ...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Stealth
i be disconnecting the " + " terminal OFF the battery post ...
then disconnecting the ECM & harness to DASH electronics, cleaning contacts and applying di-electric grease,
then i be doing the same for the alternator, making sure the right plugs are in their right places.
Stealth, you have a very " + " attitude, and you make good points!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

forgot to mention .. the BCM would be included in the DASH electronics.
make sure it is included ...

Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: belagatyo
ORIGINAL: gq420
Its really weird, the auto door locks dont engage when car is in gear.
Hmm, neither do on mine - because I disabled that feature. Maybe, this is a clue! We'll have to dig into diagnostics, and study IPC Override settings. Later!
My memory was faulty; No need to descend into the depths of IPC Override features. It's in the Owner's Manual, so you may have seen it already or even played with it. However, if not...

With the ignition in the RUN position (car may or may not be running), press and hold the INFO and INFO RESET buttons at the same time to display the following prompts.

DOORS LOCK IN GEAR: (There are two more door lock prompts like this and you can leave them or change them in a similar fashion)

A "yes" or "no" response must be made after each prompt is displayed in order to continue on to the next prompt or personalization feature. Press the TRIP RESET button to choose yes ,press the INFO RESET button to choose no or press the INFO button to "skip" to the next personalization feature.

FEATURE ON appears when a yes response is made and FEATURE OFF appears with a no response.

If a no response is made after the DOORS LOCK IN GEAR prompt is displayed, FEATURE OFF will appear. The automatic door locking system has been disabled and no other door lock messages will be displayed.
REMOTE FLASH LIGHTS, which is the next available personalization feature to display, will appear next.....

Play with these settings and see if you can get the DOORS LOCK IN GEAR feature back and you might get lucky with the gear lights.