Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

97 A/C issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Default 97 A/C issues

97 STS with 98k miles bought in 99 w/46kmiles
Trouble started earlier this year with A/C. Low refrig, compresser off message. Took it to my local mechanic replaces 2-pressured switches. Ran ok about 2 months same problem, mechanic said just low and added refrigerant. Ran about 2 months and lost cold air. No messages, compressor still runs but does not blow cold.
Mechanic said compressor bad, showed me some long part and a bunch of metal filings he took out of the compressor. Said entire system is contaminated and needs to be replaced. Compressor, condensor, dryer and hoses, $$2100. Said he can flush out the evaporator.
Is this right? I mean if he can flush out one part why can’t the other parts be flushed out?

The other issue is while $2100 is a lot of money it really doesn’t sound unreasonable given the amount of parts and laborer involved. My concern is what might be next
No overheating however coolant is being lost at about 1qt/1000mi. No smell no white smoke. Starts right up, idles smooth runs great, very fast, no misses
Reading much about the head gasket failures, is this something that will eventually happen on all n*?
Since I have owned I have never changed coolant. I know now how stupid this was on my part; I just didn’t realize how critical this was.
The car is in great shape and I really love driving it.
I know it isn’t worth much. And with no air its probably only good as a boat anchor.
Sorry for the ramble but do I roll the dice and get it fixed or put it on the curb and wait for the snowplow to come by?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 A/C issues

You are facing the same question everyone does with a 10 year old car. As far as your engine goes, don't think for a minute that every Northstar will eventually end up with head gasket problems. People come here with problems so that's what you read. There are probably a million Northstars out there running fine. Do what is suggest here even if you never did before, change the coolant and change it again in 24 months.

Before I would spend $2100 on the AC go to this link: http://www.duracool.com/
My A/C mecahnic chased a leak in my system in my GMC for two years and I paid him at least $700 over that time. I spent $89 this spring on the DuraCool kit and the system has been running strong and colder than ever before.

Sounds like he took the compressor apart but that is not that expensive to buy, a tenth of $2,100 for sure.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Katzmans Caddy:

Thank you for your prompt response. And thank you for understanding and putting things in perspective. Your correct there are millions of “survivors”
Checked out the Duracool link, good info thanks.
Per my mechanic I don’t have a leak issue. It is the compressor that is trashed the contamination caused by the metal filings. So, is it possible to purge the system of this contamination or need everything be replaced (compressor, dryer, hoses, condenser) as he stated.
Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

$2,100 is a lot of money. Right now you may or may not have it BUT he wants it. In My Opinion changing the entire system is overkill, I would draw a vac*** on the system which should remove all of the moisture and contaminants. It will also detect any leaks. I would then go with a compressor and recharge. Don't know your climate buthere in Canada, we stop using AC soon and don't switch it back on until May so a problem at the end of the season is not critical to driving comfort. The only issue is that the defrosting system does use the comprsssor.

How about this approach, get him to by pass the compressor with a shorter serpentine belt. Take your car somewhere else for a second opinion and weigh the advice you get. If you sold your car without a compressor the next guy is going to do just what I said, he'd know nothing about metal filings!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks again Katzmans

I’m in WI and it’s starting to get cold here also. The car is very drivable now and I plan to put 7-800 miles on this weekend. Mostly night driving so wont need the AC.
Will take it somewhere next week for another opinion and post results.
I am searching the threads now for the coolant change procedure
Thank you again for the time you took to respond.
Al