Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

94 sts tech help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Default 94 sts tech help

First off just wanted to say hi to everyone, browsed the site for a few days then finally signed up looks like a great site w/ lots of good info

Im also new to cadillacs, I found a 94 sts (which i've always liked) in really nice cosmetic shape for sale w/ listed headgasket problem in the ad. The price was right so i took the truck and trailer and picked her up. It runs great forawhile and seems to idle great other than a little miss here and there. and stays around 240F at idle, if you take it around the block a few times it says coolant overheating and soon shuts itself off. Doesnt seem to have the common symptoms water in oil or vice versa, but previous owners mechanic said it was headgasket, and you can smell the coolant burning so im pretty sure that is the problem

From what i've read the headgaskets are a common and expensive problem. Hers my dilemma i've changed a few headgaskets in the past on other vehicles so i ASSumed lol this one was no different, bought the manual and it doesnt even tell you how to go about it on the 4.6 n* only the 4.9 cylinder head removal is listed.

Question is what can i expect to get into w/ this is it something i can do myself?? im capable of mechanic work, motor changes, rebuilds etc. But from what i've read and heard these are a pain to do. I found the gasket kit fairly cheap for this car and would like to attempt it myself if at all possible. Any advice or a how to tutorial would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rob

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 sts tech help

ORIGINAL: f4istunna

First off just wanted to say hi to everyone, browsed the site for a few days then finally signed up looks like a great site w/ lots of good info

Im also new to cadillacs, I found a 94 sts (which i've always liked) in really nice cosmetic shape for sale w/ listed headgasket problem in the ad. The price was right so i took the truck and trailer and picked her up. It runs great forawhile and seems to idle great other than a little miss here and there. and stays around 240F at idle, if you take it around the block a few times it says coolant overheating and soon shuts itself off. Doesnt seem to have the common symptoms water in oil or vice versa, but previous owners mechanic said it was headgasket, and you can smell the coolant burning so im pretty sure that is the problem

From what i've read the headgaskets are a common and expensive problem. Hers my dilemma i've changed a few headgaskets in the past on other vehicles so i ASSumed lol this one was no different, bought the manual and it doesnt even tell you how to go about it on the 4.6 n* only the 4.9 cylinder head removal is listed.

Question is what can i expect to get into w/ this is it something i can do myself?? im capable of mechanic work, motor changes, rebuilds etc. But from what i've read and heard these are a pain to do. I found the gasket kit fairly cheap for this car and would like to attempt it myself if at all possible. Any advice or a how to tutorial would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rob
The headgasket is a problem in that we get those problem cars coming to the site more often .. for help.

It is NOT a common problem in the Cadillac GM aluminum engine lines line after 1984.

changing the gasket is simple, tedious, time consuming.
if you got the time and patience to mark and label everything as you go, to follow assy and torque req's. go for it.

if you area take-a-short-cut guy, walk away.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 94 sts tech help

I would suggest getting a factory manual 94 e/k perferably,however northstars really have changed much.You will have to remove engine to do repair it will come out the top,but its tight.Coolant crossover and balancer need to be removed to do it.Northstars have a bad habit of pulling threads out of head bolt holes when torquing head bolt so thread repair maybe required.Repair kits are available,hovever a little pricey if this is the only time you would use it.Patience is important because those who will sell you new engine used or reman will be PROUD of it.