Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

2001 STS Rear Door Speakers Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Default 2001 STS Rear Door Speakers Out

I saw one thread in the forums that said the amps for the door speakers, in this case rear, were located next to the speaker. I've seen other sites that say there is a main amp behind the back seat (which I've seen), and then additional amps at each speaker. This does not make sense to me as you don't have a power amp feeding into another power amp. An online auto parts place gives a diagram showing only 1 amp, and that's the one behind the back seat. 2001 CADILLAC SEVILLE Parts - GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts

My rear door speakers stopped working. Intermittently, they burst on with loud crackling, operate for a second or so, then go back off. I'm 99% certain it is amp related. I'd just like to know which amp I should be considering to replace. If it is in the door, I've found no place that sells them. I'm taking a door panel off this weekend to see what I can determine.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Bob

Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Certified Members

on the 1998-2004 seville the amp is located behind the rear seat. remove the bottom part of the seat and access the bolts holding the back part of the seat and once removed the amp will be on the drivers side. this amp powers all of the speakers. some BOSE systems do have small separate amps for some speakers. not the case for the seville. I have taken the seville apart and know these cars almost inside out. lol i bought one and stripped it for parts so if anybody says otherwise then id like to see proof. i also have all the speakers and there were no amps connected to them. its a one amp system so no worries.

As for your speaker issue im positive its a speaker problem. i had the same thing with my front door speakers and swapped the speakers and it was all good. Its common for the speakers on these to go out. you can find the speakers on ebay or if lucky a U-pull it yard.

Last edited by 92_Daddylac; 11-21-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 92_Daddylac
on the 1998-2004 seville the amp is located behind the rear seat. remove the bottom part of the seat and access the bolts holding the back part of the seat and once removed the amp will be on the drivers side. this amp powers all of the speakers. some BOSE systems do have small separate amps for some speakers. not the case for the seville. I have taken the seville apart and know these cars almost inside out. lol i bought one and stripped it for parts so if anybody says otherwise then id like to see proof. i also have all the speakers and there were no amps connected to them. its a one amp system so no worries.

As for your speaker issue im positive its a speaker problem. i had the same thing with my front door speakers and swapped the speakers and it was all good. Its common for the speakers on these to go out. you can find the speakers on ebay or if lucky a U-pull it yard.
Thanks Daddylac. My high certainty on the speakers was based on popping the grill, putting a meter on the solder bumps on the cone and getting no signal. I'll do a more thorough check though. I'd rather it be speakers than the amp!

Bob