Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

goofy tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Default goofy tire sizes

Has anyone changed the stock tire sizes??? I was looking at the 235 front and 255 rear setup and can't figure why they chose this setup, unless their aim was terminal understeer at the limit. I'm thinking of going with the 255s all around when the time comes, it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires to extend the life span (I live in FL and run summer performance tires on all my cars)

Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: goofy tire sizes

GM did the same thing back in the 80's with the FIERO
but a Fiero is not SUV type.
since that was the thing of the 70's, fat rears, skinny fronts,
the look wasnt bad. i said the look, not performance.

2-wheel or all-wheel drive?

things to know:
- warranty issues?
- suspension issues?

also, logic tells me that if it is a all-wheel drive, i be expecting
all 4 tires to be identical,
specially if it goes snow/mud or off-road,
and i be going big instead of small -tires.
why they did it? maybe GM's idea of fuel economy?
tire size is so listed in the window stickers

Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 AM

Well my SRX is 2wd and was equipted with the 18s. After looking around at the other optional wheel setups things become even less logical. The 07s are offered with a 20" upgrade and they use the same size tire all around. I think the latest package is due to lack of tire selection for the staggered setup in 20" sizes. I really think it's the product liabilty guys way to ensure you don't get your SRX sideways with out upgrading to electronic nannys. When the time comes I'm going 255 all around, I'll contest suggestions that warranty or durability will be affected. I work for a dealer (Porsche,BMW,VW) and only the sport package X5s use a staggered setup (all BMW sport packages include a staggered setup) VW and Porsche use the same tire in all locations. Were they going for the BMW sport package idea???

Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 AM

2004 SRV V8/AWD all options with the tow package

I didn't like the way the SRX showed so much wheel well and dare not cut or modify / lower the smooth ride!!. Add to that risking getting stuck on the launch ramp and washing out ever time it rained my time was running thin. My tires were bald! After much deliberation regarding bigger rims and taller tires and dumping the stagger to allow true rotation regardless of the tpms. I did not want to pay for rims as the tire options @ 20s were just as bad as the 18s. I elected to go with a taller tire after talking, researching and measuring different tire clearance for a month every night.

The factory showed the 2wd SRX rear option @ 285/55/18 but no way that would fit in front based on cardboard cut out test and I had to find a tire of equal height due to the AWD on my model and there is nothing. Add to that the 285 option is a truck tire FUGLY. So I searched high and low for a tire of equal diameter and similar width as the rear option 285/55. I was tossed between a 265/60 which you can find in any brand and risk it rubbing in the front or go with something that measuring would fit(in my mind). No one would even try the 265/60 even if I paid the shipping both ways and a mount and balance since the diameter was 5% greater than regardless if it fit. My buddy has a FX 35 and stock 265/60/18s look real nice on that short stumpy car.

I elected to go with an odd size tire 255/60/18 which only 3 brands are available all the way around. Same diameter as the 285 and the same width as the 255 stock tire( it had to fit). When the showed up at the installer they said they would not fit and I demanded they be put on and I would pay for it. The tires look and ride are awesome and I have 1/8 clearance in the rear of the front wheel ( no rubbing) and those puppies filled my wells up in back. I am stoked, the ride looks great and a feels a bit smoother and quieter so far than my stock Michellin slicks. There is no effect on sway with the taller tire either! I cannot wait to get 500 miles on them so I can start really hitting some corners hard to see the difference. AVON ST from the tire rack for $110 ea.

Hope this helps.