Cadillac SRX The SRX offers the versatility of a mid-size sport utility vehicle with a sports car feel

05 SRX Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Default 05 SRX Questions

I just purchased an 05 SRX V8 AWD with every option made for that year. The car does not have one scratch, it's mint, and I'm a very **** person. I also paid to have it sold as certified used;I like the peice of mind.

So far it has been unreliable. My wife and I love the car, but it needs some work in which the dealer is in the middle of fixing.Here are the issues:

Tranny is shuddering at 35-40MPH. Dealer is going to replace the tourque converter.

If the radio is off and you have the NAV screen on, the OFF prompt does not work. Also, every now and then the NAV screen is up when we get in the car. Dealer is going to replace the entire unit, NAV/Radio.

The carstarted leaking antifreeze, the dealer replaced the water pump.

Every now and then we get a grinding sound from the rear, almost as if a wheel bearing is going away. Dealer said they were fine.

Two weeks ago we took it on an 1.5 hour trip. We got off of the highway, it was raining, and evey time the car flexed or hit a bump, the car started making like a hooting sound from the rear.I got under the car and pushed up and down and the noise was coming from the passenger rear strut assembly. It went away quickly, and has not done it since. the dealer could not locate or duplicate the noise.

I have 2 questions for you SRX pro's"

- Are these things reliable? I know I bought it used, but I am just hoping that the bugs are worked out....

- Is the V8 Northstar a very noisy engine? It sounds like a cement mixer when you drive it, unless you nail it and it sounds like a muscle car.

I would appreciate any feedback that you may have. Despite the problems, it's an awesome car to drive,I just hope I didn't make a mistake,,,,,

Thanks!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default 2005 GM Cadillac SRX

ORIGINAL: snowrider

I just purchased an 05 SRX V8 AWD with every option made for that year. The car does not have one scratch, it's mint, and I'm a very **** person. I also paid to have it sold as certified used;I like the peice of mind.

So far it has been unreliable. My wife and I love the car, but it needs some work in which the dealer is in the middle of fixing.Here are the issues:

Tranny is shuddering at 35-40MPH. Dealer is going to replace the tourque converter.

If the radio is off and you have the NAV screen on, the OFF prompt does not work. Also, every now and then the NAV screen is up when we get in the car. Dealer is going to replace the entire unit, NAV/Radio.

The carstarted leaking antifreeze, the dealer replaced the water pump.

Every now and then we get a grinding sound from the rear, almost as if a wheel bearing is going away. Dealer said they were fine.

Two weeks ago we took it on an 1.5 hour trip. We got off of the highway, it was raining, and evey time the car flexed or hit a bump, the car started making like a hooting sound from the rear.I got under the car and pushed up and down and the noise was coming from the passenger rear strut assembly. It went away quickly, and has not done it since. the dealer could not locate or duplicate the noise.

I have 2 questions for you SRX pro's"

- Are these things reliable? I know I bought it used, but I am just hoping that the bugs are worked out....

- Is the V8 Northstar a very noisy engine? It sounds like a cement mixer when you drive it, unless you nail it and it sounds like a muscle car.

I would appreciate any feedback that you may have. Despite the problems, it's an awesome car to drive,I just hope I didn't make a mistake,,,,,

Thanks!!!
gotta tell you, this is the first i hear of problems with the SRX

Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: 05 SRX Questions

I bought a used 05 SRX last year and its been to the dealer several times. The first time there was a squeeking sound under the right front part of the car and the dealer ended up replacing the rack and pinion steering rack and associated ball joints. The second time was the wiper motor in the tailgate was bad and now the Bose CD player has gone out. I took it back the middle of this year to check up on why the gas mileage was so bad. I am getting about 9-10 miles in the city and 15-16 miles on the highway. They could not find anything wrong with the car. I've also had the headlight lens on both sides replaced due to cracking of the paint trim on the lens and the rubber gasket for the electric moon roof replaced due to the fact that it was coming off on the right corner.
Now back in the 60's when I had a Chevy Impala with the 409 cu. in. 425 HP motor I had that kind of mileage with a 4.56 rear end and a 4 speed transmission. Now in this age of fuel injection and computer management I would think that the fuel mileage would be a lot better. I wonder if the exhaust system is choking the motor or maybe the timing in the computer chip is not correct and is retarded and would explain the bad gas mileage.

Question: Does anyone have a similar problem with their car concerning low gas mileage?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Default RE: 05 SRX Questions

Update since last post. As I type it is still at the dealer.

My 05 SRX V8 with 36K miles has been the dealers best friend. Here is what has been done thus far. I have only owned this thing for 1.5 months.

- Water Pump let go; dealer replaced
- SRX V8 is known for the tranny "Chuggle", between 35-45mph with a light foot. They did a reflash, and it just pushed the bucking back further. They just replaced the tourque converter. I have not driven it yet but they say it's fine.
- I have the Nav/Radio combo. It crapped out, and they replaced it.
- The passemger headlight was loose, they replaced the clips with bolts.
- Rear wiper did not work. The replaced the motor, and the blade.
- Front headlight washers do not work. dealer is looking into it.
- Bad squeak in the divers side front. Sway bar and end link bushings were shot. They replaced them.
- When it rains, the rear stru assembley makes like a Hooting sound over bumps. Dealer cannot replicate.
- Had a rattling sound in the back. Dealer found that the car has a massive water leak, the sound was ice chunks in the jack storage area. The car is now at a body shop as the dealer does not do leak work, but they sent it out.
- Rubbing sound in the back at 30 mph. dealer replaced rear wheel bearings.

Thankfully this was sold to me Certified Used.I am not sure what I'm going to do with this thing. After all the problems, I do like the car, but I'm afraid it is very unreliable.

All of these problems are repetative with other SRX owners on this site, just read the posts.

To the gas mileage post above, I get 14 city 20 HW with my V8. I have a 08 SRX V6 rental right now with 600 miles on it, and it only gets 12 city and 18 HW. I have had this car for a week, so I have been paying close attention. Also, people say the V6 is comparable to the V8....NOT. The V6 has a little bottom end to it but on the highway it's a dog.I would never buy the V6, plus it's a pig on gas.

happy holidays...