Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

So exactly what parts are leather

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Default So exactly what parts are leather

On the 1999 Seville STS with leather, which parts of the interior are leather aside from the seats?

Obviously the seats
but the dash looks like pleather
inside of sterring wheel (horn and air bag surface) looks like pleather
part of steering wheel used to steer looks like wood and leather wrapped
odds and ends of the door panels look like leather while the rest looks like pleather

ReasonI ask is some of my cleaner says not to use on leather ( the stuff for vinyl and plastic not for use on leather, but my leather cleaner can be used on anything)

Can someone helpme sort this out.

Thanks,

TS

Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: So exactly what parts are leather

Generally leather is used only on the seating surfaces and steering wheel.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 PM

That is whatI thought as well but there are other areas that look like they are leather. Part of the Door Panels have a material that looks like the perforated leather on the seats and part of the arm rest on the door feels like leather. Also the center consol/armrest feels and looks like leather as well.

TS

Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

allow me?

Cadillac tends to put leather where your skin will touch. body, head, hands, legs, etc.
steering wheel dia, shifter, TOP of seats, door handles, headrests, center arm rest,

NOT on:
dash, back of seats, side of seats, door panels, kickboards, horn/airbag area,
headliner, etc

now that i said that... ***** CAUTION ******

if your cleaner has SILCONE, you will regret it if you use it .. maybe not today, but someday.
there is not need to use anything but mild soap and warm water solution .. none.

my 20 year old '88 Allante leather gets cleaned with a bucket of very mild soapy warm
water solution and a couple of COTTON terry cloth hand towels.
I WILL put my 20 year old Recaro seats against ANY leather seats 6 months old or older.
you cannot tell they are that old. they are as soft as the day the car left Turin in Nov of 1987..

mild soap is cheap and efficient and does not damage either vinyl or leather.
after the cleaning, use a NON-SILICONE, NON-PETROLEUM lotion.
use a lotion that will absorb and not seal the surface.

rubber (tires), vinyl, and leather decay with SILICONE / PETROLEUM compounds
due premature drying and cracking.. a difficult thing since so many shelf cleaning
solutions are silicone based and they dont provide ingredients..

maybe it is time i find my FAQ on the subject ..

forgot something important ..
actually the best of the best when it comes to leather cleaning is the LOTION itself.
apply lotion, let it soak and gently wipe off dirt. then re-apply lotion.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Stealth,

Your response brings up another question for me. What about the gels, sprays, etc that people use on thier tires? Do you recommend using these, if not how do you keep your tires looking clean and black.

TS

Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

not on my cars ... they are ALL SILICONE.
a stronger soap and a brush is what my tires get.

then again, if you go through tires in a short time, they wont get a chance to dry and crack.
so who cares then. but if your tires are going for 5 years, dont. because of these practices
many condemn the tires at 7 years - regardless of amount of thread.left.

i got several cars, tires last and last as i'm the only driver ..
at $600+ / set of tires, i try to keep them shaded away from UV, clean, and silicone FREE.

also, getting back to leather ...
"The silicone oil will dissolve out the leather's natural oils and tend to make the leather sticky. Silicone oil's high electrostatic
attraction will attract dust, grime, and air pollution to settle in your interior. Another unwanted side effect of the silicone products is the haze that forms on the unporous inside of your wind shield and mirror. The vapors have no place to inconspicuously or invisibly resettle and "haze" on these non-porous surfaces. This cryogenic haze is a chemical reaction to the sun and the chemicals. We absolutely do not recommend these products for any type of leather application."

ORIGINAL: touringsedan

Stealth,

Your response brings up another question for me. What about the gels, sprays, etc that people use on thier tires? Do you recommend using these, if not how do you keep your tires looking clean and black.

TS

"There are two main degrading agents that attack tires and rubber trim.
They are UV light waves and ozone. Both of these attack the long hydrocarbon chains of the rubber and, by breaking these bonds, shorten the molecules with resulting loss of elasticity and other problems.

Tire manufacturers add two primary sacrificial protectants to the rubber.

To protect against UV, they add carbon black. This is why tires dont come in designer colors to match your paint. The carbon black will turn white/gray as it absorbs the UV and dissipates the energy as heat. This is the basis of rubber parts turning gray as they age.

To protect against ozone, tire manufacturers add a wax based, sacrificial protectant. The ozone attacks the wax and depletes it. As the tire rolls, additional wax is forced to the surface of the tire. This is referred to as blooming. This blooming refreshes the surface wax protectant. A tire that has not been flexed will have the wax depleted by the ozone and thus begin to degrade and suffer dry rot.

The raw silicone oil that is the main ingredient in most of the nationally advertised, auto parts store, high gloss products may actually dissolve the wax and be the cause of premature tire sidewall cracking/failure. The quality tire/rubber dressings should contain a strong UV protectant to bolster the efforts of the carbon black and NOT contain any raw SILICONE oil. Many of the nationally advertised rubber and vinyl products also contain formaldehyde. If you plan on having a funeral for your vinyl/rubber, then you may wish to use one of these products. "

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=12