Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Default Overheating

I have a '95 Cadillac Seville. I stopped to get something from a convenience store..left the car running. Came out to find the car was not running, and noticed radiator fluid under the car...apparently it ran hot. I replaced the thermostat about a year ago and I don't think that's the problem. So I refilled it with antifreeze. Still no luck. I replaced the A/C fan because it was not kicking in and there was a lot of play like the bearings were out. Now it seems to stay cool if I'm driving and the A/C works fine while I'm driving. However, when I come to a complete stop the engine temp rises and the A/C stops blowing cold. There is a whistle noise comming from the vents. A friend suggested replacing the relay switch...not sure where that is, and if it would even help.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Default RE: Overheating

Try the thermo again first. Thats where u should start. Let me know.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 PM

How much degree's farenheit is the average normal operating range?At how much should you stop and turn off your car?I just wanted to know if my car was running to hot at 120 degree's F.Thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Try an aluminum based powder (usually found at autopart stores) added to your coolant to plug a radiator leak. When this is not pump related problem, this should alleviate the situation.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Cadillac Kid

How much degree's farenheit is the average normal operating range?At how much should you stop and turn off your car?I just wanted to know if my car was running to hot at 120 degree's F.Thanks
120 degrees F is not hot at all. For this engine 250 degrees is when you should start to get worried. The fans don't even kick in untill 225.

But going back on to the original post, I think a stickey relay sounds like the culprit. In the engine compartment there is a shroud over the fuse panel. Take a flat head screwdriver and pull out the "pin" in the middle of the two fasteners to get them off and also remove the brace that goes over the air cleaner box. The shroud can then be removed and there you will find the rest of the fuses and relays. There should be a sticker on the underside of the shroud mapping out which one is for what.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:40 PM

i had a problem wit my 95 sls overheating due to a bad heater core. if it smells fishy in the car or have liquid on the floors, i would check it out.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: Cadillac Kid

How much degree's farenheit is the average normal operating range?At how much should you stop and turn off your car?I just wanted to know if my car was running to hot at 120 degree's F.

Thanks
The boiling point of pure water is 100°C (212°F) at standard pressure, sea level.
addititves raise the boling point.
most engines are designed to run between 190F and 250F.
120 °F is LUKEWARM coffee.

i highly advice against adding metal powder sealants. if you dont know what the problem
is and why you need it, you wil most likely create a bigger problem.

the whisttle sound IN THE VENTS points to a failed heater core.
you should replace it if that turns to be the problem, not pour sealants.

you can also bypass it by way of the hoses. it is summer, it will be while before
you need a heater. if the heater is leaking and you dont fix it, expect more damage,
carpets, floors, rust, electronics, etc .. soon!

all that said, THAT is not a reason for overheating UNLESS you let the coolant levels drop.
do NOT allow the coolant level to drop or that engine to overheat too many times or the next
call will be a "FAILED HEADGASKET" - $3,500.