Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Oil Usage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Default Oil Usage

I have recently purchased a 2003 Seville STS with 26,000 miles on it. The dealer changed the oil around 24,000 miles. I checked the oil before a trip and noticed the oil level was well below the "add a quart" hashmarks on the dipstick. I call my service advisor and questioned why the computer did not notify me the oil level was low. He replied that it has to be "really low" for the car will warn you. I also questioned why I have lost so much oil over a few thousand miles. He replied that this engine (Northstar V8) is known for burning a quart every couple thousand miles.

I have checked the vehicle for leaks and for noticable buring oil out the tailpipe and have seen neither. Yet, I keep putting more oil in and find it difficult to maintain the oil level in the hashmarks on the dipstick. I am concerned about overfilling the engine since I am approaching two quarts so far. Is it normal for the Northstar V8 to burn a quart every couple thousand miles? Thank you for any insight.

Sterling

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Oil Usage

ORIGINAL: Sterling013

I have recently purchased a 2003 Seville STS with 26,000 miles on it. The dealer changed the oil around 24,000 miles. I checked the oil before a trip and noticed the oil level was well below the "add a quart" hashmarks on the dipstick. I call my service advisor and questioned why the computer did not notify me the oil level was low. He replied that it has to be "really low" for the car will warn you. I also questioned why I have lost so much oil over a few thousand miles. He replied that this engine (Northstar V8) is known for burning a quart every couple thousand miles.

I have checked the vehicle for leaks and for noticable buring oil out the tailpipe and have seen neither. Yet, I keep putting more oil in and find it difficult to maintain the oil level in the hashmarks on the dipstick. I am concerned about overfilling the engine since I am approaching two quarts so far. Is it normal for the Northstar V8 to burn a quart every couple thousand miles? Thank you for any insight.

Sterling

not with normal driving.

can you describe a standard week of driving?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your response!

I typically drive 300 miles a week, 50 miles a day to work and back, plus a few trips to town on the weekends. I drive on state highways and country roads to work and back. I did make a few trips to Columbus for the Ohio State Buckeye games.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

Northstars tend to use oil, 1 quart between oil changes is not uncommon. GM position 1 qt. in 2k miles in engines they build is acceptable. There is a FAQ W.O.T. never tried it ,but I'm not afraid of it, if necessary once I get my Eldo on the road.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:28 AM

It has been my experience that if you let it ride at 1 qt low, it is quite happy. If I bring it up to the full line it keeps dumping that first qt. I have tried the "WOT" and it works great. However, it still doesn't hold that first qt. I have read other post here that recommend only using 7 qts with a change including the filter. This one quart seems to be a common N* trait.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the replies. I checked the oil level again tonight and it seems to be holding. It could also be that the dealer did not put enough oil in when they changed it. I'll just keep checking.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM

I have a 2000 STS and it likewise burns approximately 1 qt every 2000 miles. This seems unacceptable but I see in the earlier threads that this is the norm. I've been told by a88 Cadillac Deville owner who had a similar problem that an oil additive can be used to help stop the burning. Is this true? What is the "WOT" referenced in the threads below?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

WOT = WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

In other words, the Northstar is basically a detuned Indy racing engine so it likes to be pounded. Many argue that 99% of Northstar drivers never use even 50% of the engines' 300 HP potential. Periodic WOT treatments helps decarbon the upper cylinders and helps oil consumption by working the piston rings.........in theory.

I enjoy frequent WOT's but by the time I need an oil change I'm down a quart.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

YES A QUARTAT2000 MILES IN MY 99 STS IS THE NORM..... AND FREQUENT WOT'S, "MUSIC TO MY EARS."