Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Lost power windows, and locks on all 4 doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Default Lost power windows, and locks on all 4 doors

All,
I promise.. I browsed through the entire forum, looking for a simular question, before i posted. :-)

I have a 'new 2 me' 2000 SLS, and i have lost the ability to use the switch for power windows and power locks on all 4 doors. Further more, the drivers door has also lost the side view mirror cotroller, and driver preset buttons.
Soim sure it is a blown fuse or realy. I just dont know which one.

The locks also fail when i try to use the keyfob.

Any recommendation on which fuse/relay would have all of this functionality in common, would be great.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lost power windows, and locks on all 4 doors

Max fuses are usually the ones. Look underhood in the fuse and relay centre. Some are metal some are coloured plastic. If I recall correctly you are going for the metal ones. Have a look first and see if you can get functionality by switching fuses around temporarily. These babies cost about $20 each.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 PM

Great.. Ok.. I'll start with the ones under the hood.. I hate messing with the fusses under the rear seat. :-)

Thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

Sounds to me like theres no power to the drivers door switch. If thats disconnected, no other door window switches will work. So, remove the driver switch panel and determine if the multi wire connector is plugged in. Also broken wires by the door hinge can happen. The wires pass thru a rubber sleeve and can break after 8 years of use. I believe the windows are powered thru a circuit breaker, not a fuse. A circuit breaker would allow intermittant operation until it overheats and then trip out. Once cool, windows would again work for awhile. So it sounds more like a disconnection problem rather than a circuit breaker, fuse issue.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Fuse #5 (under rear seat) is for the driver door control module. If blown, I'd expect that more things don't worklike door ajar messages, courtesy lighting, etc.

Circuit breaker #57 (also under rear seat) give the "big" power to all of the door modules. Definitely for the windows and I suspect the lock solenoids as well since I find no fuse or circuit breaker specifically for the locks. The circuit breaker is supposed to be self-resetting.

I suppose that a stuck switch could cause an overload that trips the breaker, but the brain is supposed to detect such and disable only the affected switch.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

Excellent post! thanks.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks Carnut! I won't work deep in the engine or on the tranny, but am having a blast with my first "old car fix-up" since I was a teenagera 99 STS bought at night on the spur of the moment for $2K. Near perfect body but some serious engine problems, age-worn active shocks/struts and lots of annoying "little" problems throughout that would cost a fortune if fixed at a shop.

Really enjoy electrical work and study the full service manuals in the reading room. Invested in a decent scan tool and have found MANY uses is this car and others. If it's something I can't fix, at least I know exactly what to say to the shop.

Any suggestion regarding memory and positioning? I have a separate post on this subject, but so far no suggestions. All of the modules are communicating properly but things don't always go into the proper place/setting. Repeatedly pressing (or holding) the driver recall button on the driver door eventually gets things right. Everything seems to work perfectly about half the time, but the other half the steering wheel,wheel, mirrors, climate setting, etc.can be WAY out of whack.

BTW, the two-volume, 2000+ page service manual for this car has the WORST EVER index! It took me quite a few hours just to get the gist of the basic organization/lingo of the thing, but still I can sometimes spend more time finding the appropriate topic than making the repair! GM should be ASHAMED. I hope things have gotten MUCH better. Perhaps dealer's computerized versions are FAR better than the one I subscribe to on-line but judging by what my extremely good shop says, "We can spend hours just trying to find where to look for a 'gadget' problem," I suspect this was at least half of the problem why the last Seville never took off in Europe. I hate to imagine how many millions GM spent to make it available in right-hand drive. Something tells me that any left across the pond are in the garages of serious collectors and only driven on rare occasion. Even the rich have their limits.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

My 84 Eldo has 2 position memory seat as well, and like you,it had its own memory when first purchased. What I did that I think made the system more consistant was to unplug the memory module under the seat, apply dielectric grease to the plug and plug back in. I also swiped!! 2 memory seat switches from a pick n pull to swapout. The first one seemed to require too much effort to set. The second one, sprayed with WD40 requires only a light touch and has worked faultlessly for 1 year.#1 is my position, #2 is all the way back and down.