Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Air ride problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Air ride problem

just today my 98 sls is bouncing in the back as if it is just riding on stiff springs. is there any way to determine why or what has happened? im thinking the air ride has broke but i am not getting anything on my dash telling me anything on the info center.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Air ride problem

Is car sitting high or low in rear? Do you still have stock rear suspension?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

yes everything is stock and it does sit low in the back i have a set of 18's with 245/45 tires and it almost tucks in in the rear and there is more wheel gap in the front maybe 4inches or so.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 PM

I had the same problem in my 87 seville, the air struts wont turn on a light on the dash. They will just loose air through the baffles.
on my car they were $125 a peice, and were a pain to change good luck, I lost the first one then 4 months later the 2nd one went.

cunnidj

Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Certified Members

i had took more time to check out the problem and found that it is just the driver rear that has that stiff bounce the passenger side has the nice soft normal bounce. also i noticed that the driver rear wheel and tire look as if it has somewhat bad negative camber.

so any ways wouldnt the compressor just keep runing to try and keep the struts filled with air. i also forgot to say that it happened right after hitting some rr tracks going 35mph then all of a sudden my car had this strange bounce which i thought i blew a tire but i didnt. so im woundering if maybe the compressor doesnt work and i blew out the rest of the air that was left in the struts . i dunno but i hope it can be fixed soon.thanx for helping.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default After Investigating

Today was nice enough i went and jacked up the back end of my seville. This is what i noticed first while i was jacking up the car, about 4 pumps of the jack i noticed the drivers side rear wheel wont extend all the way down and was already off the ground, and the passenger side was still touching. so i think that the rear strut is stuck and not allowing the strut to extend. the passenger side strut has huge wholes in the air bags of the strut so im going to be replacing both struts. but my question is how can i get the drivers side strut to fully extend like the passenger side? or is it that my strut bottomed out and froze up? im going to be having it looked at as well to see if my compessor is bad cuz i cant find it and i think that may be a factor as well. if any body has any ideas plz let me know before i spend too much money tyring to have someone look at it and tell me stuff i may already be able to find out on here. thanx sorry such a long post.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Certified Members

here are som pics of what i was trying to explain. hopefully you will be able to see them.

Attached Thumbnails  Air ride problem-pass-rear.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: avi
Fast Pedal(1).avi (94.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Certified Members

Looks like you need at least one rear shock, it is best to replace in pairs.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Certified Members
Exclamation

i just got my new struts ordered and will be in on wednesday, but i was told i would have to have it taken to a shop to be installed and aligned. is this true cuz i would like to install them my self but if im gonna have alignment issues then i will take some where. so if anybody can let me know if this is a diy project id apreciate it. thanx

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Certified Members

Actually you could replace them yourself provided you have good selection of tools. Air lines can get tricky unless new shocks have the "DELCO" style connections. Alignment is not required when replacing rear shocks on 92-04 Sevilles. However because of what lead to the shock failure it should be atleast checked.

Quick Reply: Air ride problem