Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

97 STS SUDDEN AND EXTREME HESITATION PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Default 97 STS SUDDEN AND EXTREME HESITATION PLEASE HELP

97 seville sts 4.6l Intermittant sudden hesitation almost like brakes are being applied at any speed or driving condition for seemingly no reason. Always followed by stability reduced message and audible tone. Any info on this would help as this is concerning and potentially dangerous.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Default RE: 97 STS SUDDEN AND EXTREME HESITATION PLEASE HELP

How is your car off the line?Because mine wont spin the tires even with the trac. control broken..she only pulls hard after 45 mph or so...I just bought the car and the test drive was sweet...she drove crazy fast and after driving the car hard I bought it and she wont run str4ong now off the line.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: myheadache

97 seville sts 4.6l Intermittant sudden hesitation almost like brakes are being applied at any speed or driving condition for seemingly no reason. Always followed by stability reduced message and audible tone. Any info on this would help as this is concerning and potentially dangerous.
You should get this checked by a qualified tech soon.
IMHO not a DIY type problem.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM

I have this exact same problem. I have replaced the wheel speed sensors and the whole nine yards. It is leaning more and more towards the computer for TRAC itself. If you check your diagnostic codes after the "Stability Reduced" error message, you should more than likely see a T1228, and/or T1227.

As far as driving, mine is fine. Lights `em up at the stop lights, and still drives just as strong as it did when we bought it with 73K miles on it. Now it has 106K

Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Cadillac Kid

How is your car off the line?Because mine wont spin the tires even with the trac. control broken..she only pulls hard after 45 mph or so...I just bought the car and the test drive was sweet...she drove crazy fast and after driving the car hard I bought it and she wont run str4ong now off the line.
Well mine burns rubber even with the Traction Control on then Traction control kicks in to calm things down and mine is a bigger and heavier Deville!You should investigate this. Lots of areas to check, fuel delivery, spark plugs, wires, coils, all of my favourites!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Katzmans Caddy

ORIGINAL: Cadillac Kid

Well mine burns rubber even with the Traction Control on then Traction control kicks in to calm things down and mine is a bigger and heavier Deville!You should investigate this. Lots of areas to check, fuel delivery, spark plugs, wires, coils, all of my favourites!
I can eliminate 99.9% of these areas.. Been there, done that, as I said, I changed the Wheel Speed Sensors, even changed the fuel pump, did all sorts of diags on the car, until I really did some reasearch at my buddies shop... Like I said.. Check your OBDII codes.. I can almost GUARANTEE you will have a TCS1228, TCS1227, or TCS1226 code.

Plus, this was also a TSB for this vehicle... If the car was under warranty and was brought in for this problem, the TCM was replaced because it was a reported problem for 1996-early1998 Caddy's....

Just my 2 cents worth, which means nothing!

--- Goobz!