Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

96 Seville STS 4.6 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Question 96 Seville STS 4.6 Starting Problems

Greetings,
I'm new to the forums so hello.
I have a 1996 Seville STS 4.6L and have been having starting problems.

History:
In 2007 the ignition cylinder and keys were replaced after the car would not start due to the Theft System Disabled message on the dash. Following that the starter was replaced. Both at the dealer.

4 Months ago I replaced the ignition cylinder and keys again because of the Theft System message again and the car wouldn't start. It was at a different Cadillac dealer.

After I got it back from them the car would grind when I was cranking it in 4th position. Very sensitive and I'd have to release the key very quickly so it wouldn't grind. This didn't do it before the Theft message.

I took it back in and they said I needed a new starter and possible flywheel.

Right now in the morning it turns over right away on the first crank. That's the only time it starts perfectly. Otherwise it tries to turn over and eventually does after a few tries. Sometimes it grinds. Sometimes it's very hard to turn over....just cha cha cha.

I've had different mechanics look at it. The dealer say it's the starter maybe also the flywheel, a Toyota "friend" mechanic said..."defiantly the flywheel" A supposed GM Certified Master Mechanic said probably just the solenoid. Take it off, clean it, and try again. If not replace it, maybe also the starter while you have the intake off.
None have done an amp reading on it or any diagnostics other than listening to it...and looking at not much of anything as you can't see the starter without removing the intake manifold.

The negative battery cable is corroded at bit. Don't know what the deal is with the starter because it's underneath the intake manifold and I'm nervous about removing it myself.

Any ideas. I'm leaning towards the battery cable and/or the solenoid. The starter was replaced 3 years ago...and the flywheel...
This is kind of crazy as I'm repeating the exact same stuff that was done 3 years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

Start simple corroded battery cables are trouble. There is no such thing as a "little corroded". The battery terminal ends that are sold are merely "band-aids" the exposed copper part of the cable will still oxidize or corrode even under the insulation. Clean corrosion, check condition of cables, and connections first. Have battery and charging system checked. Many parts stores will do it for free, however bad cables can "skew" results.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Thanks SlowRoll,
I replaced the battery cable but it did not fix the problem.
What should I do next?
What's strange is in the morning it starts almost perfect.
Not 100%, but any other time it takes 2-10 cranks for it to start.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Certified Members

Check for codes and test fuel pressure...does it read 38+ psi when key it turned to run?