Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

'00 STS trunk release not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Default '00 STS trunk release not working

I'm unable to open the trunk via the remote fob or the trunk release button under the dash. I checked the fuse box located under the rear seat and noticed fuse #56 is labeled trunk release. However, it's a much bigger, beige square fuse as opposed to the standard red, blue and yellow fuses I'm used to pulling. I tried pulling it out to check it using needle nose pliers, but it wouldn't budge. Anybody have any idea what the problem might be? When I use the remote, I do hear a clicking at the fuse box.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Certified Members

check inside the glove box to make sure that the Valet switch isnt on. If it is on it will only allow the key to open the trunk. Try that and let us know.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM

That was one of the first things I checked prior to initiating the thread. The valet button is turned off.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

its sounds as though the signal is going to the fuse, but not through it... work like hell to get that fuse out and replace..... also while your in there check for corrosion.
rickyd

Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 PM

It turns out I've been using the wrong terminology; "micro relay" #52 controls the trunk release. When I use the trunk release button on my fob, I hear a clicking at the relay. I've been told by the cadillac service department (for what that's worth) that if it clicks the relay is good. Too be sure and verify, I thought I would pull the mini relay and take another one that I know is good and put it in its place to check. Unfortunately, I'm unable to pull the relay out as it sits very tight next to other relays. Does anybody know how to pull these relays out? I don't want to break one but they definitely do not come out easily like other fuses do.

Last edited by wgoodlin; 03-24-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Certified Members

i know they are tuff.....ya just have to wiggle back and forth while pulling up...
rickyd

Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM

Further investigation yields problem isn't relay, but release mechanism itself in the trunk. I'm getting a signal to the release mechanism but release barely moves or doesn't move at all. So, guess it's time to replace the release mechanism. Unfortuantely, I don't see how to disconnect the manual (key in trunk lock) release cable from the releasing mechanism. I attempted to try and take the mechanism apart but couldn't figure out how to open it up where I could disconnect the manual release cable. Anybody out there know? If I can disconnect the manual cable, I can just get a replacement part and reconnect.