Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Weighing my options on the 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Default Weighing my options on the 90

ok heres the deal. I have been around here a long time but never post (just collecting info) Gota 90 burg, with 114k. Its at the point where it needs some odds and ends. Car has a good body and paint I got a few minor door dings on one side and just the chrome trim at the top of the front bumper has a ding. The wheels are still nice, I got brand new tires put on last week. I love the car but inside the drivers door panel is comming apart down low and the radio is on the fritz. Overall the interior just should have been maintained better or it needs new carpet to freshen it up. With things being so slow at work and the new baby / wife hasseling me about wasting money I got to make a decision to just sell it or find a place to store it for a year or 2 until things get better. kind of looking for some direction I guess. If I sell it maybe one day I will have the cash to buy a super nice 93.
If I put it out for sale is $2,500- $3,000 a fair price ??
I have looked around for a door panel and people want $150-200 for that and another $2-300 for a good radio then If I buy new carpet of have the car detailed somewhere thats another couple hundered next thing you know I'm spending $1,000 on it on top of the $500 in tires I just put on....ahhhh anyway I'm listing to opinions..

Old 09-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Weighing my options on the 90

Park it until you can deal with it properly.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 AM

Financially, I would say, sell it if you can get anywhere near what you have got into it. The Allante is one Cadillac that you will always have a three hundred to one thousand dollars of work waiting to be done. There has been no sign of the car ever going up in value. For a "parts car?" Even they seem doubtfull for demand. Most of those you hear about being stored seem to eventually become "worthless."
Not a pretty picture, but more and more cars seem to be going for $2500 or less.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

The Allante quickly deteriorates in storage, specially the BOSCH ABS and the electrics.
Allante values are dropping with no end in sight.
at 114k miles, value drops even more, Allante wanna bees, are way too mileage conscious.
Just the items you mentioned can cost a couple thousand $.s to correct.

the carpet has no value in the parts market but if damaged it will bring the car.s value WAY DOWN.
the BOSE can easily run $500 just for the amp/speakers,
then you got the paint and dings.

on the other hand, assuming that everything else works as it should, and all the exterior lights are in excellent condition, you got around $2,500 to $3,000 in parts, NOT including the drive train which is worth .. maybe $100 or nothing.

I got an 88, the Stealth I, everything works, beautiful interior, front bumper not so good .. she was amost retired last weekend but due to an error in insurance, she stays active for a few more weeks. She will most likely start donating parts this year. WHY? I am being realistic, I know that I cant get even $2,500 for her .. yet, she gave me 6 years of daily use, comfort, safety and fun, well worth the $5,000 I paid for her in 2002. If you do the math, that works out to be around $40 / month in loss of value, but then, she also had a lot less miles back then. Not too bad if I may say so.

Today, MY 1992 Allante (Stealth II ) roams the streets and already wears some parts from Stealth I ...

I am not a fan of the 1993 Allante cars, however for those that are and would like one, some high mileage units ( over 110k miles) are now going for UNDER $2,000 .. the value of the '93 drops like lead when the miles pile up.

A long winded way of saying .. PART HER ! There is money in that, and if you need money, you got a cash cow .. assuming you are a car guy that can turn a wrench.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 AM

yeah I have tools and could take it apart it would be ashame but I'm not against that. kind of would like to just off it all at once I guess. Anyone buy these to part or restore ?? $2,500 and its yours ... lol. the lights are all in very good shape. the brakes are excellent on the car. driveline is fine. tires are new. you guys have any suggestions on where to list the whole car or put up a parts thread?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Put it in our Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds
and Craigslist in your area.

you have not specified what 1990 model you got.

there are two for that year ...

if the latches are on the corners, it is a PHASE I
if the soft top latches are powered and over the visors, it is a PHASE II

the ABS master cyl .. can bring a nice chunk of change if you sell it in the car, offering to pull it once its bought .. a buyer can then test it.

a bad cyl will bring $50; a good one can bring 10X the amount.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

What is the status of your car. Sold or parted?