Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

WANT to Buy 91/92 Allante

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wcoates
Dave
I'd certainly investigate further. I know you know Jim Swinler from another site, the following is something he sent me that I think anyone thinking about a '93 should know:

There are two varieties of 93 Allantes: The V4J cars and the non-V4J cars. I would guess that more than half are V4J, but not many more.

The V4J has a powertrain essentially identical to that in the 1993 Eldorado ETC, of which a good many were built, and for which parts would not be a problem for a good while. The non-V4Js have a unique transmission which does not interchange with anything else. That is the big significance of the V4J in 1993.
And, just to be double-safe, always look for the V4J on the SPI sticker in the spare tire well.
Here is the VIN: 1G6V3395PU128249 I have no idea how it does/does not relate to the "V4J" cars?

What does this VIN say to/tell you?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 92 white-pearl
Hi Dave ,I checked out your page. That 62 olds is the CATS ***!! Period..
I enjoyed looking at the pictures of that beauty.
al
Al,

SAVED 62 is a beaut, no doubt. And with only 34,000 actual miles on the odometer! We treasure, and really enjoy, her. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Ok, we agree on the "unique."

On that point, would not all Allantes qualify, due to the limited production?

All I know is, they sure are mighty fine looking machines! If we go get one, I may actually drive it a bit, but just to blow out the carbon you understand?

Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Dave ,your welcome. Just tellin it like I see it, saved 62 is one hot lady!
I love the cars the General put out there in the 60's .
Looks like your on the hunt for an Allante,have you looked at the buick Reatta?

al

Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Originally Posted by 92 white-pearl

Looks like your on the hunt for an Allante,have you looked at the buick Reatta?

al

Friends
92 white-pearl has not made any friends yet

Hey Al hit your profile and saw your white '92 great looking car. The above friend comment was in your profile. You'll never have any friends if you advise the guy lookin' for the most beatiful car ever to look for the ugliest! Seriouly, a Reatta convertible is a nice choice after the Allante is added to the stable.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM

I am familiar with the Reatta. Do not know why, but it does not "ring my bell," so to speak. Nor am I trying to become the conservator over/for all orphaned autos!

Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Default 1992 Allante Soft Top

Well, I have received, and began studying my Allante service manuals last night. I have already learned 2 things:

1) The Bosch III ABS is not unfathomable, as I had thought.
2) While not news to any of you, but certainly news to me, I learned the soft
top is manual. With all the info I have read about pull-down motors,
latches, etc., and the fact it is a high end Caddy, I just (mistakenly)
assumed it was a power top!

Give me mechanical latches and a power top, instead of electric latches and a manual top, any day! Oh, well, one takes her as she is, or not at all.

I would also note, in passing, the service manual info on raising/lowering the top if far more difficult to comprehend than that on the Bosch III ABS!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Bill ,
thanks on the 92 pearl.
As far as the Reatta, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
She may not be the prettiest girl on campus now, but she's no ugly duckling either.
No drama with that v6 3800 motor either .

Old 11-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Dave,
The power top is not all that bad,you do it 2 or 3 times and you will have it mastered.
Good luck on your hunt.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default Cadillac Allante BOSCH III ABS & soft top

Olds,

the BOSCH III with traction control, IMHO, is by far, one of the best feature of the Phase-II cars .. the reduced stopping ability can save your hide w/o popping the air bags. My '92, from 60 mph stops almost a car length sooner than all my other cars.

IF you have never drive a BOSCH III ABS car, you are in for a new experience .. the brakes do not thump, they just stop the car fast w/o the thumping - few people know this .. BTW, the '93 doesnt have this great system.

the soft top .. from someone that has two such cars; a Phase-I '88 and a Phase-II '92 .. IMO, they are both "emergency" tops .. meaning rain happens and the hard top is not within reach or there is no one to help you lift it onto the car. Neither comes close in convenience when compared to the powered top in my '86 Stang that goes up or down w/o me ever leaving the driver's seat.

92 white,

I have yet to master these tops after years of ownership .. but .. having two different soft top cars, where I rarely put the tops up or down, may well have something to do with the long learning curve. The Stang' top took me about 2 minutes to master.

Last edited by stomper; 11-03-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: WANT to Buy 91/92 Allante