Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Tree fell on Allante while driving :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Default Ok...here we go...

Thanks Stealth and Bill for the response.

The insurance company has pretty much suggested a salvage of $1,200. That leaves $6,000 left on the $7,200 payout.

My current Allante is having a courtesy light issue. Stealth thought maybe E ghost. It is also starting to rattle a bit on the passenger side which may be teh caliper or another phantom noise.

Bill, I will keep the hood in mind and thank you kindly.

I will post some pics when I have a chance (later this week).

The trunk has a scratch. I will not need to replace. The driver back fender has a minuscule dent and a scuff mark that can be buffed out. The hood has a double-dent and could stand to be replaced. Of course the wind shield is shot. Johnny Monzo has one for $350.

So, I may end up replacing the wind shield and selling to my son, and looking for another. As far as looking for another. I saw a 1988 in excellent condition but high miles (102) with 2 tops for $3,500. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1144141192.html

There is also a 92 with low miles 62k for $6300...not Pearl White but white.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1136641952.html

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AIeradi
Thanks Stealth and Bill for the response.

The insurance company has pretty much suggested a salvage of $1,200. That leaves $6,000 left on the $7,200 payout.

My current Allante is having a courtesy light issue. Stealth thought maybe E ghost. It is also starting to rattle a bit on the passenger side which may be teh caliper or another phantom noise.

Bill, I will keep the hood in mind and thank you kindly.

I will post some pics when I have a chance (later this week).

The trunk has a scratch. I will not need to replace. The driver back fender has a minuscule dent and a scuff mark that can be buffed out. The hood has a double-dent and could stand to be replaced. Of course the wind shield is shot. Johnny Monzo has one for $350.

So, I may end up replacing the wind shield and selling to my son, and looking for another. As far as looking for another. I saw a 1988 in excellent condition but high miles (102) with 2 tops for $3,500. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1144141192.html

There is also a 92 with low miles 62k for $6300...not Pearl White but white.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1136641952.html
your current Allante ? is the the same one that got into a fight with the tree?

Walk away from the '88, not only is not as well equipped as any '92 but that one is overpriced .. if I could get $2.5K for my '88 Stealth, I sign the pink over on the spot .. but I know I cant .. so I'm driving the wheels off it until the current DMV extension expires in Dec w/o putting any more money into it.

go for a '92 .. or a '91. You will never look back.

Last edited by Stealth; 04-28-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth
your current Allante ? is the the same one that got into a fight with the tree?

Walk away from the '88, not only is not as well equipped as any '92 but that one is overpriced .. if I could get $2.5K for my '88 Stealth, I sign the pink over on the spot .. but I know I cant .. so I'm driving the wheels off it until the current DMV extension expires in Dec w/o putting any more money into it.

go for a '92 .. or a '91. You will never look back.

Yes, the current Tree-fighting Allante is the one with the issue with the lights. Seems to be ted to the sentinel system or more issues at night. Not crazy but buggy. I posted a few weeks ago about that.

So for a 92 with 62 in good condition, what do you think is a fair price is? The one listed in Philly C-List is the best one I've seen. There is also a black 91 in Jersey ($5700 is too much) that looks sweet, has 102k and no air.That is an issue for my wife when it gets too hot in the summer and we drive to the shore.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1131807421.html

Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AIeradi
Yes, the current Tree-fighting Allante is the one with the issue with the lights. Seems to be ted to the sentinel system or more issues at night. Not crazy but buggy. I posted a few weeks ago about that.

So for a 92 with 62 in good condition, what do you think is a fair price is? The one listed in Philly C-List is the best one I've seen. There is also a black 91 in Jersey ($5700 is too much) that looks sweet, has 102k and no air.That is an issue for my wife when it gets too hot in the summer and we drive to the shore.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1131807421.html

a '92 with 60,000 .. I say $4,500 to $7,000 .. depending on paint and overall condition, interior, top, etc. Keep in mind it can cost $3,000 to paint one.

that '91 is a bit steep, but looks nice, really nice .. but then, I love black cars, my two are both black.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Angry Update

I settled with the insurance company and purchased the car back for salvage for $1,200.

There is a process in PA that needs to be followed to have a salvaged car certified and re-titled as road worthy. You have to go to a state inspection station and paper work and yada yada.

A couple of decision points here.
* Part the car
* Get a windshield, get re-certified, and keep
* Get a windshield, hood (Bill), re-certified, and keep
* Get this work done and sell.
* Sell as is.

Here are a few photos. And I know it doesn't look like much damage, and really it's not except when you take into account the body was pretty-much flawless before the damn tree!

Comments?

Attached Thumbnails Tree fell on Allante while driving :(-img_0339.jpg   Tree fell on Allante while driving :(-img_0340.jpg   Tree fell on Allante while driving :(-img_0341.jpg   Tree fell on Allante while driving :(-dscn0451.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Tony

can not believe that the insurance Co. Totaled your car. I believe windshiels (so I've heard) can be obtained for $375 plus shipping. Dent repair ???, paint the whole car $2500. Sounds like you can fix car to good as new with an extra $3000 in your pocket. If your insurance Co can give me that deal just ask them what tree they want me to park under.

Just about finished parting my 90.5. Just over $6k in receipts with a goal of $6500. Wow $7200 insurance-$1200 to buy back + $6-7k in parts. (helluva lot of work) but still seems like a great deal.

Doesn't seem like you can make a bad decision.

P.S. your hood looks better than mine!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Cool But Wait!!!!

Bill, you may recall since you were following the car when I purchased that my price was $6,000 last year. I did a little hose and belt replacement, and the ignition rack so I had a little bit in it. I did get to drive a while but that's it!

So I would have pulled in $1,200 for after all is said and done.

I just listed the car on Ebay with the salvage title for bids starting $1,550. We shall see.

Now there is a guy in DE with a silver and red 91 with 34k on it. Starting bid $4,000. No digital dash...which I think is a great allure of the car. The cool factor if you will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180353347281

Old 05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

You talked me into it. From here on, I'm parking under trees.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 AM

Tony

Stop--man I gotta say that this 62 year old body is TIRED of parting a car and hope to have the shell hauled away soon!!!! But $1500 ! There is money to be made by the young and strong.

Parting a Allante really does teach you a great deal about how they are put together and I do agree with you that a analog dash is a nice alternative to the video game electronics.
The removal of the video center was the easiest removal on the car. a half hour and you can convert any Allante to analog. Would bet Dick Hussey could get you one cheap. And the electronic goes on the shelf OR it is readily saleable for the money you spend on Analog.

Don't forget that the bezel is different on the analog vs. electronic so it would need purchased also!

Next stop --lookin' for Tony's car on Ebay!

Last edited by wcoates; 05-04-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:41 AM

Guys

Just looked at Tony's ad. Gorgeous looking gal in ad that Tony would have us believe hangs out with him. (Congrats on recent marriage).

Damn Tony!!!!!???

Got the hood and trunk lid sitting in the garage, have admired car since you bought it (everyone knows I'm partial to Pearl white) , I'm 354 miles down I-76. Double damn, just showed wife and she said "you always wanted pearl white". (Guarantee it would be fixed vs. parted)

Seriously Tony, if you'll sell at $1500 and it can be driven 354 miles, and there are no brake problems,consider it sold. I wish you the best so if you get a great Ebay bid, congrats and I'll feel good for you. Call 330-559-6690 if.............if not good hunting for your new one!

Last edited by wcoates; 05-04-2009 at 05:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Tree fell on Allante while driving :(